Access 2010 can't find wizard to link table to MS Outlook

Anonymous
2010-11-01T00:41:16+00:00

I am using Access 2010 for the first time (I have an exsiting 2007 database).  I am attempting to create a linked table to the Contacts folder in my outlook file (not to the address book).  When doing so I get the following message:

Microsoft Access can't find the wizard.  This wizard has not been installed, or there is an incorrect setting in the Windows Registry or this wizard has been disabled.   To reenable this wizard, click the File Tab and click Access Options.  Click Add-ins, and then the manage list, click Disable Items, and then click Go.  Rerun Microsoft Access or Microsoft Office Setup program to reinstall the wizards.  If the missing wizard is not a Microsoft Access wizard, reinstall it using the Add in manager.

There is nothing disabled in my Add-ins list and I attempted to "Repair" the MS office install to no avail.  This should be a standard access wizard that comes installed.  Anyone have any ideas what the wizard or addin is and where it is located.  This is a Dell PC with MS Office Pro pre-installed.  Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-11-06T19:00:31+00:00

    Wow.  To all of those reading this thread I think I figured out the bug.  Microsoft should send me a free copy of Office for being able to figure this out.  It appears that there is a bug in the link wizard if the name of your outlook datafile is "outlook.pst".  After jerking around for several hours thinking that maybe this was an issue with an old .pst compatibility format or needing to add the outlook file location as a trusted location, the solution turned out to be that if I change the name of my outlook file from "outlook.pst" to "My Outlook Datafile.pst" the wizard did not error and successfully linked to the contacts table and all of my existing access queries functioned properly.  This would be funny if I hadn't just wasted 4 days trying to figure it out.  I recommend that any others experiencing this issue and having it be resolved by my suggestion above post to this thread so that MS fixes this bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-11-06T02:16:56+00:00

    Scottgem,

    I have uninstalled Access, renamed the VBA7 folder and Accwiz folder, then reinstalled Access.  This did not fix the problem.  And as Mark Ritsema mentions above the Import Exchange/Outlook wizard does start, allows you to sleect Contacts but then triggers the error when Next is clicked.  I need to get some suggestions here, since this functionality is critical to the system I have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-03T17:48:39+00:00

    Yes that is how I am attempting to make the link, just like I did on Access 2007.  This is a brand new PC from dell pre installed with MS Office 2010.  I attempted as indicated on the other thread below to rename the VB7 folder under Common Files and then perform a repair but that did not work.  what I also tried to do was manually add (in a blank database in Access) go to File> Options> Add -ins and manually add the assorted wizards found in the AccWiz folder.  When I try to add the ACWZTOOL.ACCDE I get "There was an error copying the add-in to the Microsoft directory".  I don't get this error with the other wizards in the ACCWIZ folder.  I don't know if that is relevent.  Do you know which wizard file contains the wizard for the outlook linking?  I am hesitant to uninstall Office since dell does not provide actual Office cds anymore.  Are you sure if I go into Add programs run the installer in Change mode, unselect each of the apps that I will be able to get back in and reinstall without the disks.  Can I just uninstall and reinstall Access?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-03T10:54:59+00:00

    I'm having the same issue. I have tried using the Custom install and have checked the wizards are installed and are in a trusted location.

    The wizard does start to work. I can select the contacts file in Outlook but the error is triggered when I click Next. The strange thing is it does actually create a linked table called contacts but if I try and open it I get an error "Could not find field" and it won't open.

    Could this have anything to do with a similar problem some people are having importing from to Excel:

    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/thread/94255be2-4d6b-4c70-90cf-b8e54fcf37eb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. ScottGem 68,840 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2010-11-01T13:27:23+00:00

    To Link to an Outlook folder, you use the External Data ribbon, then choose the More option in the Import section and select Outlook folder. Are you dong that? If so and you get that message you need to reinstall Office and select a Custom install to make sure all wizards are installed.


    Hope this helps, Scott<> P.S. Please post a response to let us know whether our answer helped or not. Microsoft Access MVP 2010 Blog: http://scottgem.spaces.live.com/blog Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA Technical Editor for: Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports and Queries

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments