Header only on first page?

Anonymous
2010-07-15T21:38:17+00:00

When I create a header in 2010 it is on every page.  For the life of me I can not find a first page only box to check.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2011-01-07T18:38:01+00:00

If you've already created the header text before you choose Different First Page, then the

simplest procedure is this:

  1. Select the header text and cut it to the clipboard.
  2. Set the Different First Page option.
  3. Paste the header text into the first page header.

An alternative, if Different First Page is already set, is to go to the second page

(insert a manual page break with Ctrl+Enter if there's only one page so far), cut the text

from its header, go to the first page header, and paste.


Jay Freedman

MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2010-07-15T22:20:15+00:00

Check the "Different First Page" box in the Options section of the Header & Footer Tools design tab of the ribbon, or, on the Page Layout tab, click on the right hand end of the page Setup bar and in the Page Setup dialog, go to the Layout tab and check the "Different first page" box.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-15T16:22:44+00:00

    Thank you!  I have been working for a half hour on this!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-02T17:19:44+00:00

    OM WORD that is exactly what I needed to say.  HUGE thank you.  I was going crazy trying to figure it out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-22T20:10:41+00:00

    It worked for me. I make the header, it appears on all pages. I select the "first page different" box. I copy the header on page 2. I cut the header on page 2. I paste the header on page 1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments