Can I calculate 30 calendar days from a given date, excluding holidays that I specify?

Anonymous
2010-06-04T20:34:51+00:00

I'm looking for something similar to the WORKDAY function, except I want it to return dates that include weekends (but not holidays that I specify).

Thanks for your advice!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-06-06T02:04:59+00:00

    Hmmmmm,

    I'm now going around in ever decreasing circles but given to OP isn't likely to have a holiday outside date+30 then this ARRAY formula works; I think!!!!

    =(A1+((A1+30)-A1+SUM((holiday>=A1)*(holiday<=A1+(A1+((A1+30)-A1+SUM((holiday>=A1)*(holiday<=A1+30))))))))


    If this post answers your question, please mark it as the Answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-06-06T01:01:14+00:00

    If I haven't got it this time I'm giving up and I'm going to bed. Try this ARRAY formula, see below on how to enter an array formula

    =A1+((A1+30)-A1+SUM((Holidays>=A1)*(Holidays<=A1+30)))

    Where a1 = the start date and formula cell formatted as date and holidays = named range of holidays

    This is an array formula which must be entered by pressing CTRL+Shift+Enter

    and not just Enter. If you do it correctly then Excel will put curly brackets

    around the formula {}. You can't type these yourself. If you edit the formula

    you must enter it again with CTRL+Shift+Enter.


    If this post answers your question, please mark it as the Answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-06-05T23:02:12+00:00

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 20:46:09 +0000, Bernd Pl wrote:

    >Hello Ron,

    >

    >Have you ever used iterations in a serious production environment? I do not mean a specialized math application which will only be run by experts.

    >

    >I found it far too dangerous for less experienced users because you will no longer see accidental circular references.

    >

    >That's why I put it on my Excel Dont's list: http://sulprobil.com/html/excel_don_ts.html , topic 5.

    >

    >Regards,

    >

    >Bernd

    This is a matter of philosophy. Anytime you allow modifications to be

    made to a worksheet, errors can certainly be produced.

    If you have problems with iterations, where you or your users are

    modifying your supplied spreadsheets, then I agree you would be

    foolish to use it.

    I've seen more errors with numbers entered as text, and with array

    formulas not being properly entered, than I have with accidental

    circular references that are not detected by other means.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-06-05T22:49:03+00:00

    Yup...I was missing a few somethings: Holidays prior to the start date being one of them. Thanks for checking.


    Ron Coderre

    Microsoft MVP - Excel (2006 - 2010)

    P.S. If any post answers your question, please mark it as the Answer (so it won't keep showing as an open item.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-06-05T22:37:56+00:00

    As far as I understood the question - the Holidays list should not / can not be limmited to within the range of those 30, or what days.

    I compared Ron Rosenfelds last formula with Chip Pearsons suggestion [on his site]:

       http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/BetterWorkday.aspx

    I checked:

    Start date: 02/02/2009

    Added days: 50

    Holidays dates - in range: C18:C379 [coverring holidays for the years 2006-2012]

    The range was build from fictitious Dates - some relevant for that period of time are along that long range.

    Both solutions return the same answer [date]: 28th., Mar. 2009

    Rons Codderre formula returns: 24th., Mar. 2009


    Micky (Microsoft® MVP - Excel)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments