OneNote opens every time I use Remote Desktop Connection

Anonymous
2010-10-03T21:39:41+00:00

Original Title: MAJOR BUG REPORTED IN BETA VERSION OF ONENOTE STILL EXISTS!

This bug is so irritating that after I reported it I had to remove OneNote. Perhaps there is something wrong with my system but whenever I make a Remote Desktop Connection OneNote pops up. Am I the only user who is having this problem? How do I prevent this from occurring WITHOUT removing OneNote?


Programmer for Visual C++ 6.0, and Microsoft Office including Access

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-11T09:31:36+00:00

Original Title: MAJOR BUG REPORTED IN BETA VERSION OF ONENOTE STILL EXISTS!

This bug is so irritating that after I reported it I had to remove OneNote. Perhaps there is something wrong with my system but whenever I make a Remote Desktop Connection OneNote pops up. Am I the only user who is having this problem? How do I prevent this from occurring WITHOUT removing OneNote?

 


Programmer for Visual C++ 6.0, and Microsoft Office including Access

Workaround


  1. Open remote desktop (mstsc)
  2. click Option
  3. click local resource tab
  4. Uncheck "Printer (T)" under "local device and printer section"

then try now...

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-07T19:21:28+00:00

    The only configuration changes are on the 'Resources' tab. I share my clipboard, printer, and hard drive.

    I have just established a remote connection. I have the main 'Microsoft OneNote' window open. On top of this is the 'Select Location in OneNote' window. This is covered by the window that reads: You cannot use this command while there is a dialog open in OneNote.

    I have clicked the 'OK' button on the top dialog box. A blue circle is spinning...

    Two minutes have passed. The circle is still spinning...

    It has now been one half an hour. The circle is still spinning. Clicking 'OK' has no effect.

    I have cut my remote connection. OneNote still looks the same BUT the spinning circle has vanished.

    Now I shall click the 'OK' button on the window that reads: You cannot use this command while there is a dialog open in OneNote.

    The window has closed.

    Now I shall click the 'Cancel' button on the window that is titled: Select Location in OneNote

    The window has closed. OneNote is still present.

    I have now clicked: File Exit

    OneNote is no longer visible.


    Programmer for Visual C++ 6.0, and Microsoft Office including Access

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-07T05:04:46+00:00

    So you're saying that when you RDP into another machine that OneNote launches automatically in the session each time you start it?

    If that's what you're saying then check this - start the RDC client, but don't connect yet.  Click the Options button at the bottom left, go to Programs.  Anything listed there as configured to start on connection?


    -B-

    http://www.officeforlawyers.com | http://www.onenote-tips.com

    Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-06T22:04:40+00:00

    The only line referring to OneNote appears on the 'Startup' Tab. It appears exactly as it does in your posting.


    Programmer for Visual C++ 6.0, and Microsoft Office including Access

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-10-06T19:19:10+00:00

    The only thing that should run at startup is OneNoteM.exe. It is a very small application used to launch OneNote, do screen clipping and a few other tasks. It is not full OneNote.

    Apparently there is a registration somewhere that is causing OneNote to start, and probably multiple instances to start.

    Try using the MSCONFIG tool (just run it form the command prompt or start menu). On that tool, look on the Startup tab and search for OneNote. If there are entries about OneNote, note the command and location. You should be able disable them from there, or fix the location.

    I would be very curious to see what you find. what is being passed there. Normally there should be only one OneNote-related command and it should be "...onenoteM.exe /tsr".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments