Embedded Excel 2007 workbook in Word 2007 document won't open. "Excel is not installed" error.

Anonymous
2010-03-08T20:45:01+00:00

I've seen this same problem frequently on other message boards and there has never been a solution, so I'm hoping that Microsoft is aware of it (they should be) and can address it definitively.

I have a Word 2007 document with an embedded Excel 2007 spreadsheet.  When I attempt to open the spreadsheet I get the message: "The program used to create this object is Excel.  That program is not installed on your computer. To edit this object, you must install a program that can open the object.".  Excel is in fact installed.  If I have Excel closed when I attempt to open the embedded spreadsheet then Excel actually opens, but then it does not open the embedded workbook and Word immediately gives the above message after Excel opens.

This is the same problem as is addressed in KB article 960806, except that I do not have "SQL Server 2008 Data Mining Add-ins for Office 2007" installed

I have run MS Office Diagnostics and no errors were reported. 

I have "Repaired" the installation from add/remove programs.  After I did this the embedded workbook appeared as a picture in the document and I couldn't even attempt to open it.

I have tried deselecting "ignore DDE" in Excel Options > Advanced > General

I have tried converting the embedding object to a binary object and back again.

The embedded workbook is a macro-enabled workbook, I don't know if it also happens for non-macro-enabled workbooks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-11T04:22:08+00:00

Had the same issue; disabling Goodle Cloud Connect add-in in both Word and Excel solved it for me. It might help to try disabling all the installed add-ins.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2010-03-08T20:56:13+00:00

    I do not get that error message.  With a macro enabled workbook however, when I double click on it in Word, Excel Opens in the background and it is necessary to accept the Macro Warning message before the spreadsheet in Word is enabled.

    In Windows Explorer try right clicking on an .xlsm file and make sure/set Excel as the default program that will be used to open such files.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my

    services on a paid consulting basis.

    Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com

    "robertwinz" wrote in message news:9c04f195-20cd-4043-ae92-db139ab1365a...

    I've seen this same problem frequently on other message boards and there has never been a solution, so I'm hoping that Microsoft is aware of it (they should be) and can address it definitively.

    I have a Word 2007 document with an embedded Excel 2007 spreadsheet.  When I attempt to open the spreadsheet I get the message: "The program used to create this object is Excel.  That program is not installed on your computer. To edit this object, you must install a program that can open the object.".  Excel is in fact installed.  If I have Excel closed when I attempt to open the embedded spreadsheet then Excel actually opens, but then it does not open the embedded workbook and Word immediately gives the above message after Excel opens.

    This is the same problem as is addressed in KB article 960806, except that I do not have "SQL Server 2008 Data Mining Add-ins for Office 2007" installed

    I have run MS Office Diagnostics and no errors were reported. 

    I have "Repaired" the installation from add/remove programs.  After I did this the embedded workbook appeared as a picture in the document and I couldn't even attempt to open it.

    I have tried deselecting "ignore DDE" in Excel Options > Advanced > General

    I have tried converting the embedding object to a binary object and back again.

    The embedded workbook is a macro-enabled workbook, I don't know if it also happens for non-macro-enabled workbooks.


    Doug Robbins - Word MVP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-03-08T21:19:36+00:00

    I have no problems opening macro-enabled workbooks that are not embedded in word documents, only embedded ones.  Excel is the default program.

    Right now I can't even test new suggested solutions as my embedded worksheet is showing up as a picture in my word document since I "repaired" my Office installation.

    BTW: I'm using Office 2007 SP2 and Windows XP Pro SP3

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-08T22:01:18+00:00

    I've resolved the object showing as a picture issue by using system restore to go back to before I "repaired" the office installation.  The original issue of not being able to open an embedded Excel workbook still remains.

    It seems to be related to the specific object.  When I embed another excel workbook in the document - a different version of the same workbook that's already embedded, also macro-enabled - then I'm able to open that no problem, but the original embedded right next to it won't open.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-14T06:56:14+00:00

    Try the below mentioned steps:

    Right-clicking on the Excel objects.

    1. Click Worksheet Object -> Convert.
    2. Choose Microsoft Office Excel Binary Worksheet
    3. Click OK

    After it converts it to a Binary worksheet, you can then repeat the processand choose Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet


    Ruchi Bisht

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments