Embedded Excel 2007 workbook in Word 2007 document won't open. "Excel is not installed" error.

Anonymous
2010-03-08T20:45:01+00:00

I've seen this same problem frequently on other message boards and there has never been a solution, so I'm hoping that Microsoft is aware of it (they should be) and can address it definitively.

I have a Word 2007 document with an embedded Excel 2007 spreadsheet.  When I attempt to open the spreadsheet I get the message: "The program used to create this object is Excel.  That program is not installed on your computer. To edit this object, you must install a program that can open the object.".  Excel is in fact installed.  If I have Excel closed when I attempt to open the embedded spreadsheet then Excel actually opens, but then it does not open the embedded workbook and Word immediately gives the above message after Excel opens.

This is the same problem as is addressed in KB article 960806, except that I do not have "SQL Server 2008 Data Mining Add-ins for Office 2007" installed

I have run MS Office Diagnostics and no errors were reported. 

I have "Repaired" the installation from add/remove programs.  After I did this the embedded workbook appeared as a picture in the document and I couldn't even attempt to open it.

I have tried deselecting "ignore DDE" in Excel Options > Advanced > General

I have tried converting the embedding object to a binary object and back again.

The embedded workbook is a macro-enabled workbook, I don't know if it also happens for non-macro-enabled workbooks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-11T04:22:08+00:00

Had the same issue; disabling Goodle Cloud Connect add-in in both Word and Excel solved it for me. It might help to try disabling all the installed add-ins.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-02-11T20:25:18+00:00

    Have you tried the other methods of overcoming the problem that have been posted to the original thread?


    Hope this helps.

    Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org

    Posted via the Community Bridge

    "scbeme" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

    Same problem as above with MS Word and embedded excel object.  Running Windows 7 Pro and Office 2007. Tried the above 'right click and convert' solution which didn't work. Just got another 'problem' window.

    Regretting my Windows 7 'upgrade' expense and experience. And the Microsoft support seems to be 'business as usual', i.e., sell another buggy app and let the users wait for more patches.

    My opinion re: Win 7...  lots of 'eye candy' and very user unfriendly if you want to 'manage' your PC and data vs. turning control over to MS. One would think that the MS apps would work correctly.

    ...Linux (which has its own issues) looks better every day. at least one can get fixes to the problems.

    ...sorry for the rant.


    Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-11T16:24:12+00:00

    Same problem as above with MS Word and embedded excel object.  Running Windows 7 Pro and Office 2007. Tried the above 'right click and convert' solution which didn't work. Just got another 'problem' window.

    Regretting my Windows 7 'upgrade' expense and experience. And the Microsoft support seems to be 'business as usual', i.e., sell another buggy app and let the users wait for more patches. 

    My opinion re: Win 7...  lots of 'eye candy' and very user unfriendly if you want to 'manage' your PC and data vs. turning control over to MS. One would think that the MS apps would work correctly.

    ...Linux (which has its own issues) looks better every day. at least one can get fixes to the problems.

    ...sorry for the rant.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-05T15:20:23+00:00

    I was also faced with this problem on XP / Office 2007.

    One simple workaround:

    Open another application that could embed the excel and from which you can copy a text paragraph, e.g. Outlook => New Email, use rich text format (rft).

    In outlook you can simply drop e.g. the excel sheet or any other application. Then copy the whole text and Excel icon from the email /outlook window to Word. Then you can open and edit the embedded Excel sheet as normal.

    Cheers, Husky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-10-12T06:04:45+00:00

    I'm posting here so that hopefully other people can avoid the same headaches that i've had with this problem.

    First I'll describe my problem: Starting with a blank Word 2007 document, I would embed an Excel 2007 spreadsheet, add some entries, save and close Word, re-open it and i would get "the program used to create this object is excel. that program is not installed on your computer" whenever i tried to edit the embedded spreadsheet.

    I've tried all the "fixes" I've found posted around the Net but nothing was working.

    Only two machines were behaving this way however, so I compared what was installed on these machines to the other ones in the office. The only difference I could spot was that the problem machines had "Microsoft Learning Essentials" installed. Lo and behold, uninstalling this Add-In from "Add/Remove Programs" fixed the problem for me!

    FYI we are running MS Office Enterprise 2007 SP2 on Win XP SP3 with all updates.

    Hopefully this helps anyone else out there with a similar problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments