Embedded Excel 2007 workbook in Word 2007 document won't open. "Excel is not installed" error.

Anonymous
2010-03-08T20:45:01+00:00

I've seen this same problem frequently on other message boards and there has never been a solution, so I'm hoping that Microsoft is aware of it (they should be) and can address it definitively.

I have a Word 2007 document with an embedded Excel 2007 spreadsheet.  When I attempt to open the spreadsheet I get the message: "The program used to create this object is Excel.  That program is not installed on your computer. To edit this object, you must install a program that can open the object.".  Excel is in fact installed.  If I have Excel closed when I attempt to open the embedded spreadsheet then Excel actually opens, but then it does not open the embedded workbook and Word immediately gives the above message after Excel opens.

This is the same problem as is addressed in KB article 960806, except that I do not have "SQL Server 2008 Data Mining Add-ins for Office 2007" installed

I have run MS Office Diagnostics and no errors were reported. 

I have "Repaired" the installation from add/remove programs.  After I did this the embedded workbook appeared as a picture in the document and I couldn't even attempt to open it.

I have tried deselecting "ignore DDE" in Excel Options > Advanced > General

I have tried converting the embedding object to a binary object and back again.

The embedded workbook is a macro-enabled workbook, I don't know if it also happens for non-macro-enabled workbooks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-11T04:22:08+00:00

Had the same issue; disabling Goodle Cloud Connect add-in in both Word and Excel solved it for me. It might help to try disabling all the installed add-ins.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-26T15:49:51+00:00

    I've experienced this problem on three computers since May 2011, all either Windows XP or 7, all running Office 2007.  I recently found that after removing the PERSONAL.XLSB personal macro workbook the problem mysteriously "went away."  I then re-created my personal macro workbook using drag and drop in the VBA editor and things work fine.  But time will tell if this "fix" is permanent.

    Before doing this, though, I used another workaround which always worked for me which you might try.  Open your Word document and navigate to the embedded Excel workbook. Next, open up a new Excel window with a blank workbook.  Drag and drop the embedded Excel workbook from Word onto the blank workbook in Excel.  You can then open this embedded workbook from within Excel and edit it.  (Dang it, if Excel claims that Excel is not installed, I will look for flying pigs next.)  After editing it, you will then drag and drop this embedded Excel workbook back into your Word document.  (It's a move from Word into Excel, and then back, not a copy operation).

    Please note:  you will have an embedded workbook on your Sheet 1 of Book 1, which is a standalone workbook in Excel.  The workbook you took out of word is still an embedded object.  The worksheets from the workbook you dragged from Word are not merged into the blank workbook.  You double-click the embedded workbook to open it, then you close that workbook when finished editing it and it will stay as an embedded workbook.  Not everyone can understand this.  If this does not make sense to you, please take a moment to learn about embedded ActiveX or OLE objects in Microsoft Office first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2012-09-09T09:28:41+00:00

    Unfortunately, disabling the add-ins is not an option for me.  The worksheets I am using depend on add-ins and VBA.

     

    PPC (Practitioner Publishing Company) Auditing templates.

    Engagement CS (Creative Solutions) auditing software.

    But there may be others that are causing the problem.  Try disabling (move to another folder) them one at a time to see if you can identify one that causes the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-09-06T21:56:27+00:00

    Unfortunately, disabling the add-ins is not an option for me.  The worksheets I am using depend on add-ins and VBA.

    PPC (Practitioner Publishing Company) Auditing templates.

    Engagement CS (Creative Solutions) auditing software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-09-06T19:29:02+00:00

    Had similar issue, but not for Google Cloud, SQL 2008, or any other of the add-ins specifically mentioned. However, diabling all add-ins in both Excel and Word appears to have at least worked around the problem enough to let me complete my tasks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments