Embedded Excel 2007 workbook in Word 2007 document won't open. "Excel is not installed" error.

Anonymous
2010-03-08T20:45:01+00:00

I've seen this same problem frequently on other message boards and there has never been a solution, so I'm hoping that Microsoft is aware of it (they should be) and can address it definitively.

I have a Word 2007 document with an embedded Excel 2007 spreadsheet.  When I attempt to open the spreadsheet I get the message: "The program used to create this object is Excel.  That program is not installed on your computer. To edit this object, you must install a program that can open the object.".  Excel is in fact installed.  If I have Excel closed when I attempt to open the embedded spreadsheet then Excel actually opens, but then it does not open the embedded workbook and Word immediately gives the above message after Excel opens.

This is the same problem as is addressed in KB article 960806, except that I do not have "SQL Server 2008 Data Mining Add-ins for Office 2007" installed

I have run MS Office Diagnostics and no errors were reported. 

I have "Repaired" the installation from add/remove programs.  After I did this the embedded workbook appeared as a picture in the document and I couldn't even attempt to open it.

I have tried deselecting "ignore DDE" in Excel Options > Advanced > General

I have tried converting the embedding object to a binary object and back again.

The embedded workbook is a macro-enabled workbook, I don't know if it also happens for non-macro-enabled workbooks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-11T04:22:08+00:00

Had the same issue; disabling Goodle Cloud Connect add-in in both Word and Excel solved it for me. It might help to try disabling all the installed add-ins.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-13T06:28:08+00:00

    Try this:

    1. Click File > Options > Customize Ribbon 
    2. Check the Developer, then click "Ok"
    3.  Now you will see the "Developer" Tab in the main document, Click it
    4.  Click the "Macro Security"
    5.  Click "File Block Settings"
    6.  You will see three options to 'Open behavior for selected file types: '
    7. Choose and click ' Open selected file types in Protected View and allow editing '
    8.  Click 'Ok'

    You may now double click to open your excel table in word.

    This one works for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-19T02:33:14+00:00

    Hi Doug:

    tgere re is no need to start s new thread as this  one isn't solved. I did post all detail in my posts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-09-18T23:49:33+00:00

    If there is something with which you have a problem, it would be better to start a new thread in which you give all of the details.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-18T17:23:13+00:00

    Were you able to get this resolved?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments