How do you lock elements in a Powerpoint page so they cant be moved?

Anonymous
2011-10-14T00:56:46+00:00

How do you lock elements in a Powerpoint page so they cant be moved?

Can you lock and unlock a given element on a page?

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-10-14T15:22:13+00:00

There are lots of good reasons why you might want to lock a shape in place, and some of us have been begging for this feature for years.  I've even written this into a couple of my add-ins but haven't ever done 'em for Mac.

One workaround is to use a new master and put the "locked" content on the master.  Users won't be able to select it/move it while editing slides based on that master.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-11T23:44:08+00:00

    I would love to have the ability to lock a graphic in place while putting together a PP. I use my PP for printables. I put frames on the pages that don't want bouncing around while I put more graphics on. This bouncing frame/graphics issue. When you have overlapping graphics and want to adjust one the others will tend to bounce on you while you try to get at the one you want to move. You have to send the difference layers of graphics to the back and each time you select there is a good chance your other graphics will bounce out of place. I would love to add a graphic and then right click and temporarily lock it in place as I add on others. I don't see how that could be such a huge headache to add. I can lock an Adobe pdf and unlock it with Acrobat XI.

     I just downloaded Shapelock which works well but you can not unlock it. So I will use this on rare occasions at best.  Also once I locked a graphic maybe it would take it out of the loop for having to send back fewer layers? Once it is locked you don't have to send back. Frames would be one graphic where you would like to lock and maybe copyright would be another.

    Sorry to say but I totally disagree that the segment for wanting this feature is small. There is HUGE sector out there doing this and buying these printables for teaching. One site alone has 150K new registered teachers each month wanting to buy and 80K

    • and growing sellers who make them, not to mention the folks who just make them for themselves. Also if we could lock the PP with password like Acrobat pdfs then we could sell these without fear of losing copyright and being able to lock down graphics for graphic artist's copyright. So I can see many reasons why locking down elements while building a PP and being able to lock the entire PP after it is done would be a double whammy for PP users. But I won't hold my breath.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-04-12T15:36:52+00:00

    Its' not clear whether you're using a Mac or PC version of PowerPoint; the latter, I expect, since that's what you indicated you use when you posted on the Windows side of the forum.  

    In PPT 2013, you can use the Selection Pane to turn off visibility of shapes that are in the way of what you're doing;  invisible shapes can't be selected, so you can't accidentally select and move them.

    Or you can directly select the shape you want to work with.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-12T16:31:08+00:00

    Hi Steve,

    Yes I use Win 7. I did go to Home then went to Select under Editing to the very far right. It literally made the graphic disappear on me when I clicked the eye. Is this what you meant? The problem I have with this is I have to be able to see all the graphics to line things up. I just want certain graphics I select to stay put when I am adding on more since many times things will jump a bit when I am adding or moving things around to fit. Thank you for responding : )

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-04-13T01:18:30+00:00

    As I mentioned before, you can use the Selection Pane to SELECT the shape you want to work with.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments