How do you lock elements in a Powerpoint page so they cant be moved?

Anonymous
2011-10-14T00:56:46+00:00

How do you lock elements in a Powerpoint page so they cant be moved?

Can you lock and unlock a given element on a page?

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-10-14T15:22:13+00:00

There are lots of good reasons why you might want to lock a shape in place, and some of us have been begging for this feature for years.  I've even written this into a couple of my add-ins but haven't ever done 'em for Mac.

One workaround is to use a new master and put the "locked" content on the master.  Users won't be able to select it/move it while editing slides based on that master.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T23:08:59+00:00

    I would love to have the ability to lock a graphic in place while putting together a PP. I use my PP for printables. I put frames on the pages that don't want bouncing around while I put more graphics on. This bouncing frame/graphics issue. When you have overlapping graphics and want to adjust one the others will tend to bounce on you while you try to get at the one you want to move. You have to send the difference layers of graphics to the back and each time you select there is a good chance your other graphics will bounce out of place. I would love to add a graphic and then right click and temporarily lock it in place as I add on others. I don't see how that could be such a huge headache to add. I can lock an Adobe pdf and unlock it with Acrobat XI.

     **I just downloaded Shapelock which works well but you can not unlock it.**So I will use this on rare occasions at best.  Also once I locked a graphic maybe it would take it out of the loop for having to send back fewer layers? Once it is locked you don't have to send back. Frames would be one graphic where you would like to lock and maybe copyright would be another.

    Sorry to say but I totally disagree that the segment for wanting this feature is small. There is HUGE sector out there doing this and buying these printables for teaching. One site alone has 150K new registered teachers each month wanting to buy and 80K

    • and growing sellers who make them, not to mention the folks who just make them for themselves. Also if we could lock the PP with password like Acrobat pdfs then we could sell these without fear of losing copyright and being able to lock down graphics for graphic artist's copyright. So I can see many reasons why locking down elements while building a PP and being able to lock the entire PP after it is done would be a double whammy for PP users. But I won't hold my breath.  

    I found that when you Select All check box, you cannot turn off the locks. If you leave one or more off, you can go back in and change the locks or turn off.

    Heads Up to those of you using the trial version. If your trial runs out and you purchase a license the license key, it does not arrive right away. The receipt states that it will be sent in email within 48 hrs.

    I hoping to find a different solution and get a refund.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2015-08-28T15:48:08+00:00

    I'm not the one you should be aiming your comments to. I don't work for Microsoft. I happen to think having the ability to lock down a slide or selected slide elements would be a good feature.

    Very recently Microsoft opened a site specifically for discussing and voting on feature suggestions. If someone has already put this feature suggestion there by the time you get to the site, then vote for it. If not, then please add the feature request to the suggestion box here:

    http://powerpoint.uservoice.com/forums/288925-powerpoint-for-mac

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-15T06:10:35+00:00

    well this shapelocker program works, although it modifies the layout if used on more than one element at the same time, so you need to group them first.

    otherwise it does not fulfil the purpose: the recipient can still open the slide master containing the IP information, and use the powerpoint command "hide background graphics"... and it's gone.

    GZ

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments