word 2010 table headers and 'do not allow rows to break across pages' not working

Anonymous
2011-04-02T23:18:17+00:00

Recently I've moved over to office 2010, having been an Office user for 10+ years. My issue is with  Word 2010. I'm ok in Word, no expert but get by and can do what I need to.  I've never had the below issues before and have used this function many times on Word 2007.

When I am using tables I have selected the 'repeat header rows' function.  However it is not working.  Anotherwords, my header rows are not repeating on subsequent pages.

Also, when using tables, I have de-selected (from table properties) 'allow rows to break across pages', so that my rows shouldnt be split across 2 pages.  However, this also is not working.

There are 5 tables in the document, all the tables were 'split' at some point via the 'split tables' function.  I created the table from copying and pasting lines from a powerpoint document, then converting that text in to one table, then creating columns to the left and right of it and have hand typed the column headings.

I have tried the following, to no avail:

  1. Saving the document, closing and reopening it.  This did not work.
  2. From table properties trying the different combinations of turning on and off the 'allow rows to break across pages' and 'repeat as header row across each page' and the 'repeat header rows' quick button from the layout screen.  None of these combinations worked.
  3. Copied and pasted one of the tables within the same document and tried the 'repeat header rows' function in copied table.  It did not work
  4. Created a new row below the header row. Copied and pasted the data and then deleted the original header row.  Deselected then selected again 'repeat header rows'.  This also failed.

Is this a problem with Word 2010?

Help would be appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-04-03T04:26:39+00:00

In table properties, make sure the  table wrapping is set to  None. 

Pam

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-10-06T00:04:42+00:00

    Select Table tools, layout, properties, row de-select Allow Row to break across pages.  You will need to highlight the entire table first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-26T20:19:21+00:00

    MEMD,

    I'm sorry you had to go to such trouble to fix your tables.  Either of these two suggestions might have helped avoid that:

    Tables transfer from W2003 without  the boxes checked in the the Table Style Options group (Far left, Table Design tab) .  For Repeat heading rows to work, Header Row must be checked.

    Some W2003 tables have no table style applied.  Tables created in Word versions before 2002, when table styles were introduced, also have  no table style.  And some table features are not available  in W2007/10 unless a table style is applied.  (I'm recalling earlier experiences here, and do not have any old tables to test again. So I can't be more specific.)  Apply a table style and you should be OK.  If you need to keep  the formatting (Colors and such) of the table, right click on the table style (say, Table Grid) and choose "Apply and Maintain Formatting".

    HTH,

    Pam

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-09-26T17:25:54+00:00

    Long story short. I found that the table I copied from a previous version of Word did not work. However, when I CREATED the table in 2010, and defined the Header row before creating more rows (I created a 2-row table), using the Table Properties menu - I had no further problems, copying the table I created throughout the document. I literally had to re-do all of the tables, about 25, using the one I created in 2010. There does not seem to be anyway to correct it if you have tried the other suggestions already mentioned.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-08-09T03:33:33+00:00

    It can also mean that text above and below will flow around the table (not necessarily beside it) if the table position is defined relative to the page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments