word 2010 table headers and 'do not allow rows to break across pages' not working

Anonymous
2011-04-02T23:18:17+00:00

Recently I've moved over to office 2010, having been an Office user for 10+ years. My issue is with  Word 2010. I'm ok in Word, no expert but get by and can do what I need to.  I've never had the below issues before and have used this function many times on Word 2007.

When I am using tables I have selected the 'repeat header rows' function.  However it is not working.  Anotherwords, my header rows are not repeating on subsequent pages.

Also, when using tables, I have de-selected (from table properties) 'allow rows to break across pages', so that my rows shouldnt be split across 2 pages.  However, this also is not working.

There are 5 tables in the document, all the tables were 'split' at some point via the 'split tables' function.  I created the table from copying and pasting lines from a powerpoint document, then converting that text in to one table, then creating columns to the left and right of it and have hand typed the column headings.

I have tried the following, to no avail:

  1. Saving the document, closing and reopening it.  This did not work.
  2. From table properties trying the different combinations of turning on and off the 'allow rows to break across pages' and 'repeat as header row across each page' and the 'repeat header rows' quick button from the layout screen.  None of these combinations worked.
  3. Copied and pasted one of the tables within the same document and tried the 'repeat header rows' function in copied table.  It did not work
  4. Created a new row below the header row. Copied and pasted the data and then deleted the original header row.  Deselected then selected again 'repeat header rows'.  This also failed.

Is this a problem with Word 2010?

Help would be appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-04-03T04:26:39+00:00

In table properties, make sure the  table wrapping is set to  None. 

Pam

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-17T08:57:05+00:00

    Excellent.. Setting the table wrapping to none has worked out..Appreciate it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-02-09T22:49:16+00:00

    How I got around this was to create a new table in word 2010 that is working correctly.

    Use Format painter to copy the format of the new table and apply it to the table that has the issues.

    That resolved it for me

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-01-12T12:42:21+00:00
    1. Right-click on the row where you define as header.
    2. Click on Properties.
    3. Click on 'Row' Tab (2nd Tab)
    4. Check 'Repeat as header row on the top of each page.
    5. Click OK

    That's all. Best Luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-10-11T17:06:00+00:00

    Deselect allow table to break across pages.  Select whole table

    Reselect table row header. Select row.

    Reselect allow table to break across pages.  Select whole table.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments