word 2010 table headers and 'do not allow rows to break across pages' not working

Anonymous
2011-04-02T23:18:17+00:00

Recently I've moved over to office 2010, having been an Office user for 10+ years. My issue is with  Word 2010. I'm ok in Word, no expert but get by and can do what I need to.  I've never had the below issues before and have used this function many times on Word 2007.

When I am using tables I have selected the 'repeat header rows' function.  However it is not working.  Anotherwords, my header rows are not repeating on subsequent pages.

Also, when using tables, I have de-selected (from table properties) 'allow rows to break across pages', so that my rows shouldnt be split across 2 pages.  However, this also is not working.

There are 5 tables in the document, all the tables were 'split' at some point via the 'split tables' function.  I created the table from copying and pasting lines from a powerpoint document, then converting that text in to one table, then creating columns to the left and right of it and have hand typed the column headings.

I have tried the following, to no avail:

  1. Saving the document, closing and reopening it.  This did not work.
  2. From table properties trying the different combinations of turning on and off the 'allow rows to break across pages' and 'repeat as header row across each page' and the 'repeat header rows' quick button from the layout screen.  None of these combinations worked.
  3. Copied and pasted one of the tables within the same document and tried the 'repeat header rows' function in copied table.  It did not work
  4. Created a new row below the header row. Copied and pasted the data and then deleted the original header row.  Deselected then selected again 'repeat header rows'.  This also failed.

Is this a problem with Word 2010?

Help would be appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-04-03T04:26:39+00:00

In table properties, make sure the  table wrapping is set to  None. 

Pam

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-04-03T04:57:47+00:00

    YES!!! that worked.  Thanks.

    If anyone would care to explain what the table wrapping means that would be great.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-03T04:08:43+00:00

    I also tried this same procedure whilst the whole table was highlighted/selected.  This didnt work either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-03T04:05:51+00:00

    Ok, taking this advice, I went to Design, Table Style and deselected 'header row' then went to Layout and deselected 'repeat header rows'.  Then I went back to Design, table style and reselcted 'header row' and then went back to Layout and reselected 'repeat header rows. 

    This worked for the first table in the document, but does not work for any of the subsequent tables.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-04-03T03:14:40+00:00

    The only "problem" is the "new & improvements" <sigh> ...

    Are you having the problem in new documents, created in 2010, or "old" documents created in earlier versions? (Just out of curiosity).

    I was able to recreate the no header row problem. here is what I did, and how I fixed it:

    • Inserted a 200 row table into a new docx.
    • typed in the first, "heading" row
    • in the Table Tools Design conditional tab / Table Style Options I turned on "Header Row"
    • nothing happened
    • then I selected a colorful style to make it easier to see
    • no joy
    • display the Table Properties dialog, by right clicking in top row (Can also be done in the Table Tools Layout conditional tab / Table group)
    • Table Properties dialog / Row tab turn on "Repeat as header row ..."
    • OK
    • Tada! the heading appears
    • Go back to the Design tab and turn off the "header Row" option there aaaaannnnd ...
    • the heading text is still there, but the unique heading row color is gone

    So the feature works, I just think the way they implemented it is less than obvious, misleading actually if you don't closely concentrate on the intent of the Design tab options.

    Splitting rows: The option is applied on a row by row basis so you have to have the whole table selected. Try selecting the whole table, then going into table properties, and turning on/off the split rows across pages option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments