word 2010 table headers and 'do not allow rows to break across pages' not working

Anonymous
2011-04-02T23:18:17+00:00

Recently I've moved over to office 2010, having been an Office user for 10+ years. My issue is with  Word 2010. I'm ok in Word, no expert but get by and can do what I need to.  I've never had the below issues before and have used this function many times on Word 2007.

When I am using tables I have selected the 'repeat header rows' function.  However it is not working.  Anotherwords, my header rows are not repeating on subsequent pages.

Also, when using tables, I have de-selected (from table properties) 'allow rows to break across pages', so that my rows shouldnt be split across 2 pages.  However, this also is not working.

There are 5 tables in the document, all the tables were 'split' at some point via the 'split tables' function.  I created the table from copying and pasting lines from a powerpoint document, then converting that text in to one table, then creating columns to the left and right of it and have hand typed the column headings.

I have tried the following, to no avail:

  1. Saving the document, closing and reopening it.  This did not work.
  2. From table properties trying the different combinations of turning on and off the 'allow rows to break across pages' and 'repeat as header row across each page' and the 'repeat header rows' quick button from the layout screen.  None of these combinations worked.
  3. Copied and pasted one of the tables within the same document and tried the 'repeat header rows' function in copied table.  It did not work
  4. Created a new row below the header row. Copied and pasted the data and then deleted the original header row.  Deselected then selected again 'repeat header rows'.  This also failed.

Is this a problem with Word 2010?

Help would be appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-04-03T04:26:39+00:00

In table properties, make sure the  table wrapping is set to  None. 

Pam

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-09-19T03:28:34+00:00

    Actually, each table cell is by default a separate paragraph (of course, if you press Enter within a cell, then the cell contains more than one paragraph). To keep a row with the following one, it is usually sufficient to format any one of the cells as "Keep with next." If you select the whole row, then you're applying that formatting to all the cells. This is the same as if you selected several ordinary text paragraphs and applied paragraph formatting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-19T01:46:19+00:00

    > The key to keeping rows together is to format them as "Keep with next,"

    > and that check box is found on the Line and Page Breaks tab of the

    > Paragraph dialog, which is accessed via the dialog launcher in the

    > Paragraph group on the Home tab.

    Thanks. That finally turned out to be the key to fixing it. I knew all along that I could solve it if I could only find the paragraph properties, but the paragraph properties can't be found on the right-click menu, leading me to the belief that a table was not considered to be part of a paragraph. It didn't occur to me to look at that discreet little arrow in the top menu bar.

    Also, I didn't realise until now that each table row is considered to be a separate paragraph.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-09-18T12:29:56+00:00

    While the article at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/KeepTableOn1Page.htm does not refer to versions after Word 2007, the procedure is exactly the same in Word 2010. The key to keeping rows together is to format them as "Keep with next," and that check box is found on the Line and Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog, which is accessed via the dialog launcher in the Paragraph group on the Home tab.

    The article at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/ControlPgBrksInTables.htm is more extensive and, though not updated for Word 2010, is still applicable. Nothing in the way tables behave has changed between Word 2003 and Word 2013.

    A "wrapped table" is a table that has had the text wrapping set to "Around." This can happen if you use the table handle to drag the table (or if you even inadvertently nudge the table when touching the handle to select it). If you don't want the table to be wrapped, you have to set the wrapping to "None" on the Table tab of Table Properties (as you say you have).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-18T05:00:56+00:00

    > That text wrapping setting is the one Pam was referring to, and it is the answer

    > to the question asked.

    I guess there's been some confusion about what the original question was, probably because the original person actually asked two questions.

    > Your question is a different one and is answered in

    > http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/KeepTableOn1Page.htm

    That is indeed the answer to my question, but it answers it only for Word 2007 and earlier. The solutions given do not work in Word 2010.

    > and http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/ControlPgBrksInTables.htm.

    > To manually break a table to the next page without splitting it (and

    > thereby losing the repeating header row), format the row as "Page break before."

    That is about inserting page breaks, rather than ensuring that there are no page breaks. It's useful advice for large tables that will extend over more than one page. My table has only 5 rows, and no complications like repeating headers. All I want to do is ensure that it will remain entirely on one page, i.e. start on the next page if it won't fit on the current page. This, I think, is the question that some (although not all) of the people in this thread have been asking.

     

    > If your table is wrapped, there is a Compatibility Option

    > (File | Options | Advanced: Layout options) that will prevent it from

    > being broken: "Don't break wrapped tables across pages."

    I've just tried this (it's a well-hidden option!), but it does not work in my case. That's possibly because my table is not a "wrapped table", whatever that is.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments