Word 2010 - Cannot edit embedded excel tables after closing document

Anonymous
2010-09-07T12:14:32+00:00

Hi folks

I recently upgraded from Office 2007 to Office 2010. My system is a acer 6593 laptop running Windows 7 Professional with 4GB ram (3GB usable by windows)

I have an issue with Word 2010 and embedded excel tables. I am able to create a word document and insert the excel table therein (using insert-> table -> excel speadsheet). I am also able to edit the table onc created, and manipulate it. However, as soon as I save and close the word document, I am no longer able to edit (or convert for that matter) the excel object.

The error message given is "The program used to create this object is Excel. That program is either not installed on your computer or it is not responding. To edit this object, install Excel or ensure that any dialog boxes in Excel are closed"

I have tried to completely repair and un-install office 2010, as well as running a cleanup tool to ensure the un-install was completely removed.

The created word document excel tables are editable in other people office 2007 installations. (there is no-one esle with office 2010 for me to try). so I am unsure whether it an issue with my specific office instalation or office 2010 in general.

As I say, the office 2007 trick of converting to a excel binary file does not work, giving an error massage*"the server application, source file, or item cannot be found. make sure the application is properly installed, and that is has not been deleted, moved, renamed, or blocked by policy".*

Also, although I cannot edit existing excel tables, I am able to add new ones to the word document and edit them, again until I save and close.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-07-17T22:42:35+00:00

I was experiencing this issue in Word 2010.

I was able to fix it by disabling all COM Add-ins in Excel 2010. I only had the one add-in, another system on our network had multiple add-ins. (for instructions on disabling the add-ins see below)

Close word, and open a blank Excel worksheet. In Excel go to file>options>add-ins. Then down the bottom select COM Add-ins from the drop down menu and hit go. Uncheck everything hit ok. Close the options menu close Excel. Now open your word document and try to edit your embedded files. They should now work without a problem.

I make no promises, but this worked for me :)

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-06T14:31:34+00:00

    We found that changing the document extension to a ".zip" and looking in the "Word" > "embeded" folder would often get you access to the spreadsheet so that you can at least re-embed it into the document and edit it again.

    Nice one Ryan! Thanks for that. None of the other advice worked for me (trying to open an embedded Excel 2003 document in Excel 2010) but at least I can get to the spreadsheets your way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-27T14:45:57+00:00

    Thank you Hazzzaa. It worked for me. Some stupid acer could connect COM add-in had bugged all my embedded excel files. I would recommend to not just uncheck but remove 3rd party COM add-in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-03T14:57:15+00:00

    Hi all!

    Might be useful for SharePoint users - I had issue with opening embeddded Excel files when opening Word document directly from SharePoint. Finally I just downloaded Word file and reopened it locally - everything started to work. Might be some issue with "embedded" SharePoint addin.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-04T22:34:59+00:00

    We found that changing the document extension to a ".zip" and looking in the "Word" > "embeded" folder would often get you access to the spreadsheet so that you can at least re-embed it into the document and edit it again. 

    This helped me.  I had an old Word document from 2007 with an couple embedded PowerPoint figures.  The Word document had a .doc extension.  I found that I was able to save the file as a .docx and then change the file extension to .zip and extract the contents.  I was able to find the embedded PowerPoint presentations under the "word\embeddings" folder, but unfortunately, PowerPoint said that it couldn't open one of the files, possibly because it was not a PowerPoint file or that it has become corrupted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments