Microsoft Office 2010 Dictionary missing

Anonymous
2011-08-30T11:43:59+00:00

Previously Office 2010 Dictionary had been working fine, now nothing dictionary and thesaurus missing. Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-08-30T12:07:19+00:00

Make sure that the correct language is applied to text. On the Review tab, click Language | Set Proofing Language.

Also, as long as you have the Language dialog box open, make sure to clear the "Detect language automatically" option. Doing so will prevent the language from changing at the insertion point.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-04T22:28:18+00:00

    Hello,

    There is a problem number open with MS 1198617934. I had level 2 on the phone and had to cut him short as I had a meeting to go to. He was supposed to call me back, but I have not heard from him as of yet. He had control of two of my machines, one that had the problem and one that did not. He got the one that had the problem to have most of the services added, like Encarta dictionary. I would hope he call back and to email me the steps he used to resolve the issue. I would also like to know more about adding a service on 2010.

    Thanks

    -Ed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-03-04T23:15:59+00:00

    Okay, forget everything I said before, as I've now understood that what Microsoft were actually suggesting was that you click the "Update/Remove" button in the Research Options dialog. Now they are asking: "Did the user receive any errors when they clicked the Update/Remove button?   Have they tried clicking the Add Services button which should bring up Add Services dialog which should present a list of advertised services that Microsoft provides?" (What I get when I click that is "No advertised services are currently available," but I do get quite a list when I click Update/Remove.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-03-05T01:02:42+00:00

    The individual who marks a question as "Answered" is the individual who started the thread.   The response that is marked as the Answer may have solved the problem that they had.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-07T18:33:48+00:00

    Hello,

    Just got off the phone with MS support level 2. It seems that MS Office 2010 does not come with a Dictionary installed. If you have some, that means that there was some other software that had these entries and MS picked them up because it wants to be the primary editor on the system. The other way is if you upgraded. A clean install such as what I did on this machine would not provide them.

    To add the Encarta entries add the URL http://office.miscroshft.com/Research/query.asmx to your  research options. The problem is still open because I have Bing and on the other machine, and we haven't figured out at this point how it got there. Also since MS advertised that you can look up the definitions of a word on MS Word, this is definitely a bug.

    Thanks 

    -Ed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments