Microsoft Office 2010 Dictionary missing

Anonymous
2011-08-30T11:43:59+00:00

Previously Office 2010 Dictionary had been working fine, now nothing dictionary and thesaurus missing. Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-08-30T12:07:19+00:00

Make sure that the correct language is applied to text. On the Review tab, click Language | Set Proofing Language.

Also, as long as you have the Language dialog box open, make sure to clear the "Detect language automatically" option. Doing so will prevent the language from changing at the insertion point.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-04T15:50:50+00:00

    Hello,

    I have a call into MS case #1198617934. Level 2 support is supposed to call me back. I gave level one control of my screen and they verified the problem.

    As I said, I have been in development for over 30 years myself, wrote part of IBM operating system in assembler for 20, was a managing director for a software house, have a Masters in CS, and working on another Masters, finishing my PhD in CS next year. You can look at my profile on LinkedIn.

    What I don't care for on some of these forums, is the fact people assume that as long as a software product works for them in a certain way, it should work for someone else. Environments change the way products work, believe me, I have had to deal with this issue all my working life, and anyone in at least level 2 support will tell you the same.

    The product works as designed on my other machine, not this one, and it will take MS to figure it out. Once we have I will share with the community.

    I would make one suggestion to the individuals who marked questions as answered; don't until the individual comes back and verifies that it worked, or they do not come back for a defined period of time when you can close it. This is support 101, and if any of my people closed a problem report without verification, we would be having a discussion.

    Thanks

    -Ed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-03-04T13:11:02+00:00

    I would be interested in seeing a screen shot of the Research Options dialog showing the absence of the Encarta dictionary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-04T08:43:06+00:00

    Thank you for your suggestions, Doug.  None of them are correcting the issue of the missing dictionary. 

    As Ed suggests, this is a Microsoft bug.  How can we get Microsoft to fix what is CLEARLY a Microsoft problem without us paying them for the 'support'?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-02T17:19:20+00:00

    Hello All,

    What he is saying is that the Dictionary is not in the reference list period. I have the same problem. You go through the steps and the list only contains Thesaurus entries, there are no dictionary entries. With that said, you cannot see the definition of the word. Now, word does auto check and give suggestions for correcting the spelling of the word.

    Now is it possible for someone from MS to answer why we would not see the list of dictionaries in the reference list so we can look up the definition of the word?

    Thanks

    -Ed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments