Microsoft Office 2010 Dictionary missing

Anonymous
2011-08-30T11:43:59+00:00

Previously Office 2010 Dictionary had been working fine, now nothing dictionary and thesaurus missing. Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-08-30T12:07:19+00:00

Make sure that the correct language is applied to text. On the Review tab, click Language | Set Proofing Language.

Also, as long as you have the Language dialog box open, make sure to clear the "Detect language automatically" option. Doing so will prevent the language from changing at the insertion point.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-04T22:28:18+00:00

    Hello,

    There is a problem number open with MS 1198617934. I had level 2 on the phone and had to cut him short as I had a meeting to go to. He was supposed to call me back, but I have not heard from him as of yet. He had control of two of my machines, one that had the problem and one that did not. He got the one that had the problem to have most of the services added, like Encarta dictionary. I would hope he call back and to email me the steps he used to resolve the issue. I would also like to know more about adding a service on 2010.

    Thanks

    -Ed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-04T21:04:27+00:00

    I updated the problem number ... I had a finger check ... level two was looking at this, but I had to cut is short for a meeting...

    Update later...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-04T20:07:45+00:00

    Hello,

    Did this already ...

    Also, tried adding new functions ...

    Thanks

    -Ed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-03-04T19:59:36+00:00

    FWIW, one of Word's product team, without seeing this thread, has written that "The list should be populated when Office first contacts the Research service; when that happens, the right set of dictionaries are populated based on the set of languages you have enabled.... If there’s nothing there [that is, in the Research Options dialog], it’s likely we failed to contact the service. In terms of troubleshooting, it would be useful to know what happens when those users hit the 'Update/Remove' button and try to update the 'Microsoft Office Online Services' group." My understanding of this is that you should proceed in Add/Remove Programs as you would to "repair" Office and do something with the check box for "Microsoft Office Online Services." Perhaps set it to "Do not install" (or whatever the wording is), finish the "repair," then go back and set it to "Run All from My Computer" again to kickstart it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments