Microsoft Office 2010 Dictionary missing

Anonymous
2011-08-30T11:43:59+00:00

Previously Office 2010 Dictionary had been working fine, now nothing dictionary and thesaurus missing. Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-08-30T12:07:19+00:00

Make sure that the correct language is applied to text. On the Review tab, click Language | Set Proofing Language.

Also, as long as you have the Language dialog box open, make sure to clear the "Detect language automatically" option. Doing so will prevent the language from changing at the insertion point.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-23T17:53:26+00:00

    Jeanette, I am connected to Wi-Fi and this was a function available on Word 2010 and it has flat disappeared. I've not tried MS Works because I've not used that program since the 1990s. I'll move that to my desktop as you suggested. Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-23T17:50:46+00:00

    Joshua, I agree with you. I've been able to use the look up function for years. It auto displayed Encarta and then if I wanted a different option one could click on All References. That function is gone. Like you, when I right click on a word for look-up the only option is Thesaurus. I feel handicapped. I rely heavily on this Word Document feature.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-22T02:49:38+00:00

    The reason the dictionary disappears in Word is because the dictionary they have for looking up definitions is online. If you are somewhere where you don't have Wi-Fi, you are out of luck. The Thesaurus and spell check work, but no dictionary.

    If you have Word 2013 you are suppose to be able to add a dictionary from the Microsoft website. They also have instructions on how to add one into Word 2010 by pressing buttons that don't exist in that program.

    Microsoft Works had a wonderful dictionary. If you are lucky enough to have works on your computer click on "computer", then click on "Hard Disk Drive C". Open the folder "Programs", then open the folder "Microsoft Works". In there scroll down to "WksDict." Right click on it, scroll to "Send to" then click on "Desktop (create shortcut). Now you have a lovely dictionary that even gives when the word was first used.

    I have no idea why Microsoft tossed this wonderful dictionary. If they don't want it they should offer it as freeware, or as a separate program with Word. But Microsoft is out for bucks and the heck with customers. This lack of customer consideration is why the company is doomed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-27T21:08:18+00:00

    Thank you this worked perfectly to restore my dictionary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments