Microsoft Office 2010 Dictionary missing

Anonymous
2011-08-30T11:43:59+00:00

Previously Office 2010 Dictionary had been working fine, now nothing dictionary and thesaurus missing. Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-08-30T12:07:19+00:00

Make sure that the correct language is applied to text. On the Review tab, click Language | Set Proofing Language.

Also, as long as you have the Language dialog box open, make sure to clear the "Detect language automatically" option. Doing so will prevent the language from changing at the insertion point.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-09T23:16:01+00:00

    I followed the same suggestions but still don't have a dictionary.  Any other suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-20T17:51:00+00:00

    I was having the same problem as Joshua Carlsen. This worked for me Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-29T14:03:28+00:00

    Thanks mjm87.  Encarta dictionary now works.  What a pain it was to search around find a solution to a feature of Word that you think should just work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-23T18:05:42+00:00

    I just fixed mine. It is possible that someone already added this solution & I missed it.

    In MS Word 2010 click on File

    Choose Options

    Click on Trust Center

    Click on Privacy Options

    at the bottom of this option is Research Options

    Click on this and it will open the Research Options dialog box

    Click on Update/Remove

    It will show you the Reference Books you already have installed.

    However, to fix the problem of not having the dictionary or any other options available you need to select the options again, e.g.

    Translation (Installed Dictionaries) lists dictionaries that are already installed (these are highlighted in gray)

    Click on it and it will highlight the installed options in blue

    On the right hand side you are given the option to update

    Click on Update & find the next option and do the same.

    I chose Bing & it highlighted many choices of language. It will not allow individual countries so I again highlighted Bing and clicked on Update. Once you click on update the Bing Setup will allow you to make choices about the country(ies) you would like Bing assistance with. Select your choices and click install. You'll get a pop-up that says services were installed.

    I continued to select items such as Thesauri, highlighted it and clicked on update.

    Once I went through all the choices of reference books I wanted I clicked on Close

    On the Research options I clicked on OK

    On the Privacy Options I clicked on OK

    On the Trust Center Option I clicked on OK

    I then opened a word document and did a right click on a word & it gave me back my options that I previously had.

    All is good in Word land for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments