I've been using Mail Merge in Word 2003 for years.
This occurs when making Labels to stick on envelopes for mailing.
If you Merge it with an Excel File which contains a list of addresses (one column being "Address 1" and another "Address 2") -- some people will not have any data in the column "Address 2".
So it will/should merge like this Example:
Bob Smith
123 Main Street
Smallville, NY 12345
Others WILL have data in the "Address 2" column and it will merge like this:
Mary Jones
Pennville Village
321 Oak Lane
Smallville, NY 12345
However, Word 2010 will Merge the first example WITHOUT suppressing the blank field (empty line) so it shows up like this after being merged:
Bob Smith
123 Main Street
Smallville, NY 12345
You are right, I had to "revert" back to Word 2003 for this to Merge correctly - which is ridiculous - WHY install Word 2010 if you have to "revert" back to a previous version for something to work CORRECTLY? Why not simply have an option (check box)
that says "suppress blank fields"?
The whole "DEFAULT" to "html spacing" is ridiculous throughout all of Word 2010!
I'm not setting up a webpage - I'm typing a business letter/important documents.
If I WANT an extra line inserted, I'll INSERT one.
Had my company not recently installed Word 2010 on our computers, I would have stuck to Word 2003.
Don't get me wrong – I'm not opposed to changing things to make them better, more efficient.
What I don't understand is they change them to a point where you have to learn everything all over again!
I've been using Word & Excel for years and know hundreds of tricks and short cuts – but because everything is so different and in different places, I have to re-learn how to do it or figure out WHERE it is!
I have enough work as it is for my job – besides having to re-learn everything again for Microsoft! (unless Microsoft wants to cut me a paycheck!)
Things/short-cuts that made me more productive, are now in different places, and I have become less productive.
I just don't get it. Making things easier – yes; but changing them so I don't recognize it anymore?
The Toolbars were great – everything I needed was right there in front of me…now I find myself searching among the tabs of the ribbon just to find basic things….yes, I know I can "customize" the ribbon, but that only puts more tabs up there.
I'm working harder using something that supposedly was going to make things "better".