export word review comments in excel

Anonymous
2010-10-08T09:36:15+00:00

Hi , I have several Review comments in my word documents, I wan to export all these comments to excel sheet.

If it is possible by macros, please guide me with step by step process.

Regards,

RG

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-23T08:58:33+00:00

    My original macro still works, but perhaps could do with changing to late binding thus:

    Sub CopyCommentsToExcel()

    'Create in Word vba

    Dim xlApp As Object

    Dim xlWB As Object

    Dim i As Integer

        On Error Resume Next

        Set xlApp = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")

        If Err Then

            Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

        End If

        On Error GoTo 0

        xlApp.Visible = True

        Set xlWB = xlApp.Workbooks.Add        ' create a new workbook

        With xlWB.Worksheets(1)

            For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Comments.Count

                .Cells(i, 1).Formula = ActiveDocument.Comments(i).Initial

                .Cells(i, 2).Formula = ActiveDocument.Comments(i).Range

                .Cells(i, 3).Formula = Format(ActiveDocument.Comments(i).Date, "dd/MM/yyyy")

            Next i

        End With

        Set xlWB = Nothing

        Set xlApp = Nothing

    End Sub

    The error relates to aldoDuke's addition of Function ParentLevel(Para As Word.Paragraph) As String which I have not evaluated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-01T15:53:16+00:00

    Thank you for providing.

    I tried to cut and paste into Word 2013 and received an syntax error.  I had to make the following changes to the first two lines to make it work with Word 2013:

    Changed 

    Dim xlApp As Excel.Application

    Dim xlWB As Excel.Workbook

    to 

    Dim xlApp As Object

    Dim xlWB As Object

    Because my name in word is Last, First format the "ActiveDocument.Comments(i).Initial" output Last initial -first initial ("GS" versus what would normally be "SG") which is a bit confusing with multiple reviewers. Therefore I changed it to: "ActiveDocument.Comments(i).Author" to show full name.

    Again thank you very helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-06-16T18:48:17+00:00

    thank you so much!!! code worked perfectly and saved me a lot of time!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-22T10:16:58+00:00

    Hi I'm getting this same Run-time error '91'

    I have used this Macro before, and it's been really helpful! But now it won't work?

    Thanks in advance

    Simon

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-08-04T21:22:19+00:00

    Its way late, but this was SUPER helpful. Saved me so much time. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments