Can't change default style in Word

Anonymous
2011-09-26T22:54:58+00:00

I have been able to change the default font to what I want, and the default margins, but cannot find a way to change the default style.  I want to have it default to "No Spacing" instead of "Normal". 

Note:  I edited this on 9/27/11 to put "Normal" instead of "Paragraph", which I had erroneously put in originally.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-09-26T23:21:24+00:00

That setting doesn't ring a bell. Where do you set it?

When all else fails to change a default, I suggest opening the template for edting, NORMAL.DOTM is the default, and make changes there.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-10T17:28:25+00:00

    Not retained in the sense that when I close down Word then re-launch it any changes I made have gone. Is that's what's meant to happen?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-10T17:44:43+00:00

    No, it is not, if you make the changes properly   (  ... and there are no sunspots, and the moon is in the right phase ... <grin> )

    Try using any of the techniques described earlier to open the NORMAL.DOTM for editing, ie:

    I tried this and it seemed to work. It's different from the way I have done it in the past. Here is what I did to change from "Normal" to "No Spacing":

    Open a Word document.

    Click on File.

    Click on Open.

    Click on Templates.

    Double-click on Normal.dotm.

    Make your style set change, then close the NORMAL.DOTM , saving the changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-10T18:01:36+00:00

    Obviously there are sunspots and there's no moon. I've been using computers since the mid-1980s and can just about follow instructions, but whether they have the desired effect is another matter. 

    In this case I open up Normal, change the Style Set to show a lovely tick next to 2003, close down Normal, open up Word again and ... Hey Presto! The Style Set has reverted to its original Office 2010 state with 1.15 line spacing and that 10pt spacing after paragraphs. It's magic, but not as we know it, Jim. Maybe I should just uninstall? Maybe I should just live with it?  Maybe I should open the window and see how far a Dell laptop will fly before gravity takes over? Endless possibilities. On reflection, I'll have a cold beer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-10T18:18:58+00:00

    Sorry, I'm running out of ideas.

    Check the date/time stamp on your NORMAL.DOTM to confirm it was updated at a time consistent with your recent changes.

    Try booting the computer into safe mode and start Word in safe mode, Edit the NORMAL.DOTM one more time.

    I doubt re-installing would do any good.

    I can sympathize with the pitch it feeling. Do make sure you open the window, you wouldn't want to hurt the poor innocent window ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments