Can't change default style in Word

Anonymous
2011-09-26T22:54:58+00:00

I have been able to change the default font to what I want, and the default margins, but cannot find a way to change the default style.  I want to have it default to "No Spacing" instead of "Normal". 

Note:  I edited this on 9/27/11 to put "Normal" instead of "Paragraph", which I had erroneously put in originally.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-09-26T23:21:24+00:00

That setting doesn't ring a bell. Where do you set it?

When all else fails to change a default, I suggest opening the template for edting, NORMAL.DOTM is the default, and make changes there.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-26T23:25:40+00:00

    You can modify the Normal style (which is applied to the empty paragraph in the Normal template) as follows: Create a new, blank document, for example by pressing Ctrl+N. On the Home tab, click the dialog launcher button (the little arrow on the bottom right) of the Paragraph group. Change the Spacing Before and After to zero. Click the Set As Default button. If/when you are prompted to save the Normal template, choose to do so.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-27T02:43:03+00:00

    Thanks for the reply.  Making the change in NORMAL.DOTM did what I wanted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-09-27T02:44:08+00:00

    Thanks for the reply.  I was able to do what I wanted by changing NORMAL.DOTM.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-27T08:01:41+00:00

    OK, thank you for the follow-up. Would you mind telling us what you changed, exactly?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments