Can't change default style in Word

Anonymous
2011-09-26T22:54:58+00:00

I have been able to change the default font to what I want, and the default margins, but cannot find a way to change the default style.  I want to have it default to "No Spacing" instead of "Normal". 

Note:  I edited this on 9/27/11 to put "Normal" instead of "Paragraph", which I had erroneously put in originally.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-09-26T23:21:24+00:00

That setting doesn't ring a bell. Where do you set it?

When all else fails to change a default, I suggest opening the template for edting, NORMAL.DOTM is the default, and make changes there.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-30T07:59:16+00:00

    OK, I see your point. That setting would also have to be modified in Normal.dotm of course.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-29T23:53:04+00:00

    The "style for following paragraph" for all the built-in heading styles is, by default, Normal.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-29T17:47:52+00:00

    Assuming that the settings of the No Spacing style haven't been overridden, Ctrl+Q (ResetPara) shouldn't make a difference. You can definitely choose to apply another style than Normal to the blank paragraph in the blank document template. However, Normal style has a habit of resurfacing, if that's what you are thinking of.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-29T14:30:36+00:00

    I might not be using the right terminology.  What I want is to have "No Spacing" set whenever I open a new Word document.  It does that now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments