Can't change default style in Word

Anonymous
2011-09-26T22:54:58+00:00

I have been able to change the default font to what I want, and the default margins, but cannot find a way to change the default style.  I want to have it default to "No Spacing" instead of "Normal". 

Note:  I edited this on 9/27/11 to put "Normal" instead of "Paragraph", which I had erroneously put in originally.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-09-26T23:21:24+00:00

That setting doesn't ring a bell. Where do you set it?

When all else fails to change a default, I suggest opening the template for edting, NORMAL.DOTM is the default, and make changes there.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-05-09T10:09:05+00:00

    I tried this and it seemed to work. It's different from the way I have done it in the past. Here is what I did to change from "Normal" to "No Spacing":

    Open a Word document.

    Click on File.

    Click on Open.

    Click on Templates.

    Double-click on Normal.dotm.

    Click on "No Spacing".

    Click on File.

    Click on Save.

    Click on the "X" in the upper right corner to close the document.

    Then the next time I opened a Word document, it showed "No Spacing".

    This is the only setting I have tried to change, but hopefully this method would work for other settings as well.


    Indeed, opening the Normal template from within the Open dialog box also works (the trick with the Visual Basic Editor helps if you are having troubles finding the Normal template).

    Note that while applying a different style (No Spacing in this case) to the blank paragraph in Normal does work, it will be more reliable to change the document defaults.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-09T01:06:53+00:00

    Yes, that is a different approach to editing the NORMAL.DOTM directly, but it accomplishes the same thing. Any setting changes you apply this way will be saved. Well, ones that are actually saved in NORMAL.DOTM.

    Settings are saved in several other places: the registry, *.ACL (spelling), Building Blocks.DOTM (for autotext type entries), *.THMX (theme formatting) etc. It is hard to find documentation specifying where everything is saved.  Especially since it is changing from one version to the next.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-09T00:05:26+00:00

    To quickly open the Normal template as a document, you can use the following trick: In Word, press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window. Type

    NormalTemplate.OpenAsDocument

    and press Enter. Normal opens in a separate document window (look at the title bar). Close the Visual Basic Editor and change the defaults in Normal.

    Note that most changes (such as changing font, size, line spacing, etc.) can be done from Word's dialog boxes, without opening Normal. If you find that you have to open the template for these changes, something is preventing you from correctly saving it. This must be troubleshot separately; see the sections referring to add-ins in the KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541/en-us/.

    I tried this and it seemed to work.  It's different from the way I have done it in the past.  Here is what I did to change from "Normal" to "No Spacing": 

    Open a Word document. 

    Click on File. 

    Click on Open. 

    Click on Templates. 

    Double-click on Normal.dotm. 

    Click on "No Spacing". 

    Click on File. 

    Click on Save. 

    Click on the "X" in the upper right corner to close the document. 

    Then the next time I opened a Word document, it showed "No Spacing". 

    This is the only setting I have tried to change, but hopefully this method would work for other settings as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-05-08T18:01:45+00:00

    To quickly open the Normal template as a document, you can use the following trick: In Word, press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window. Type

    NormalTemplate.OpenAsDocument

    and press Enter. Normal opens in a separate document window (look at the title bar). Close the Visual Basic Editor and change the defaults in Normal.

    Note that most changes (such as changing font, size, line spacing, etc.) can be done from Word's dialog boxes, without opening Normal. If you find that you have to open the template for these changes, something is preventing you from correctly saving it. This must be troubleshot separately; see the sections referring to add-ins in the KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541/en-us/.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments