Can't change default style in Word

Anonymous
2011-09-26T22:54:58+00:00

I have been able to change the default font to what I want, and the default margins, but cannot find a way to change the default style.  I want to have it default to "No Spacing" instead of "Normal". 

Note:  I edited this on 9/27/11 to put "Normal" instead of "Paragraph", which I had erroneously put in originally.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-09-26T23:21:24+00:00

That setting doesn't ring a bell. Where do you set it?

When all else fails to change a default, I suggest opening the template for edting, NORMAL.DOTM is the default, and make changes there.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-10T17:44:43+00:00

    No, it is not, if you make the changes properly   (  ... and there are no sunspots, and the moon is in the right phase ... <grin> )

    Try using any of the techniques described earlier to open the NORMAL.DOTM for editing, ie:

    I tried this and it seemed to work. It's different from the way I have done it in the past. Here is what I did to change from "Normal" to "No Spacing":

    Open a Word document.

    Click on File.

    Click on Open.

    Click on Templates.

    Double-click on Normal.dotm.

    Make your style set change, then close the NORMAL.DOTM , saving the changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-10T17:28:25+00:00

    Not retained in the sense that when I close down Word then re-launch it any changes I made have gone. Is that's what's meant to happen?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-05-09T19:03:02+00:00

    In what sense is the style set not retained? If you set a style set as the default, the specific formatting should be added to your template (but you won't see a check mark next to the style set name at Change Styles | Style Set).

    Remember that your quick styles is only the collection of styles displayed in the gallery on the Home tab; there is no link maintained between the document and the named style set that you applied.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-09T18:50:15+00:00

    So, I thought I'd found the answer in respect of Style Sets.

    Here's the link:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921174

    However, when I close down Word then re-launch the Style Set isn't retained as the default. Always thought Groundhog Day was a great film; didn't think I'd have to live it though.

    I was able to change Style Set from black and white default to "Fancy".  It worked when I closed Word and opened a new document.  So it is possible.  Hopefully you will find a way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments