Can't change default style in Word

Anonymous
2011-09-26T22:54:58+00:00

I have been able to change the default font to what I want, and the default margins, but cannot find a way to change the default style.  I want to have it default to "No Spacing" instead of "Normal". 

Note:  I edited this on 9/27/11 to put "Normal" instead of "Paragraph", which I had erroneously put in originally.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-09-26T23:21:24+00:00

That setting doesn't ring a bell. Where do you set it?

When all else fails to change a default, I suggest opening the template for edting, NORMAL.DOTM is the default, and make changes there.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-27T15:57:24+00:00

    What you haven't specified, which I think is what Stefan was asking, was where you found the Normal Spacing setting. I'm curious about this, too. If you use Home | Styles | Change Styles | Paragraph Spacing, there is a No Paragraph Space choice that might be what you're referring to. The Line and Paragraph Spacing button in the Paragraph group also has various choicing for line spacing and Spacing Before/After. But nowhere do I see a setting for "Normal Spacing."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-27T15:26:20+00:00

    Ok.  Here's what I did: 

    Open a Word document. 

    Click on File. 

    Click on Templates, which is under Microsoft Word at the top of the navigation pane. 

    Double-click on Normal.dotm. 

    Click on Normal Spacing. 

    Click on File. 

    Click on Save. 

    Close the document. 

    That seemed to work. 


    Note:  "Normal Spacing" above should be "No Spacing".  I didn't edit this reply to show that because then Suzanne Barnhill's reply below would be confusing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-27T08:01:41+00:00

    OK, thank you for the follow-up. Would you mind telling us what you changed, exactly?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-27T02:44:08+00:00

    Thanks for the reply.  I was able to do what I wanted by changing NORMAL.DOTM.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments