Can't change default style in Word

Anonymous
2011-09-26T22:54:58+00:00

I have been able to change the default font to what I want, and the default margins, but cannot find a way to change the default style.  I want to have it default to "No Spacing" instead of "Normal". 

Note:  I edited this on 9/27/11 to put "Normal" instead of "Paragraph", which I had erroneously put in originally.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-09-26T23:21:24+00:00

That setting doesn't ring a bell. Where do you set it?

When all else fails to change a default, I suggest opening the template for edting, NORMAL.DOTM is the default, and make changes there.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-25T14:41:22+00:00

    What do you mean by "change the spacing before and after zero?"  I need to know how to change the normal template or make "no spacing" the default style. This was much simpler in older versions which had menus to allow the user to set the default.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-12T14:08:31+00:00

    If I ever find a solution I'll post it here. Thanks for all the ideas - maybe there's one in there I haven't tried that will solve this little mystery.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-11T09:46:24+00:00

    As I mentioned previously, my copy of Word seems to work ok for what I think you are trying to do.  It may be that yours has gotten corrupted somehow, or there might be registry problems, or something else. 

    There are some more options for you, which you might have already thought of: 

    find a user group that might be able to help;

    take your computer to a Microsoft store, or some other computer shop, and have a tech look at it;

    contact Microsoft support, but that could be costly. 

    Maybe there are other options, too. 

    Hopefully you will find some way to get it solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-05-10T18:29:18+00:00

    Make sure that you opened the correct Normal template (sometimes there might be several versions present). Beyond that, I have to say the same that Rohn007 did: I'm running out of ideas.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments