how do I get rid of this blue background in the text?

Anonymous
2011-08-20T13:29:03+00:00

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10736018@N05/6062088672/in/photostream

I was given a file to update and modify by a partner in a project. it contains several instances of this word having a blue highlight in the background. I don't want to waste ink in my own color printer, and the final version of this is going to be printed on a black & white laser printer.

How do I get rid of the blue background in word 2007? The "text highlight color" control will override it with any color but white, which isn't shown. Choosing "no highlight" has no effect. The "font color" changes the text from black to some other color, but has no effect on the blue.

How do I get rid of the blue?

==Edit, posted 5 minutes later=

Nevermind, I just deleted the stupid text and retyped it. I'd still like to know how it was done however.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-08-20T14:42:46+00:00

It looks like text shading - you can change it in the Borders and Shading dialog (click the Borders dropdown in the Paragraph group of the Home tab of the ribbon, and select the last option: Borders and Shading; then activate the Shading tab)

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-20T14:42:42+00:00

Hi

One thing you don't mention is shading.  Shading can be applied to text characters not just whole paragraphs, depending on what is selected when it is applied.

Shading is the button with the paint pot in the Paragraph group of controls, on the Home tab.

If you ever have problems like this again try using Reveal Formatting to show you what effects are applied to your text.  Just put your cursor in the text and press Shift + F1 and the panel will display all the aplied settings.

Hope this helps

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-30T21:54:39+00:00

    Control Q did not work but Control spacebar did!!  Does that mean the coloring was a font format?  Hard to say when you copy from an email.  Anyway,

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-05-30T22:25:30+00:00

    Yes, it suggests that the color was a font/character format (that is, format which can be applied to a range of text characters smaller than a whole paragraph).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-31T01:42:33+00:00

    I don't remember that shortcut at all. How long has it been in Word?

    99% of my knowledge is of Office 97 as that is what I learned word on when I migrated from ClarisWorks to Microsoft Word due to college using Wintel while my grade and high schools used Apple II (AppleWorks) and Macintosh (ClarisWorks) respectively. That, and I had training in community college in Office 97. It was brand new at the time back in the spring semester of '98.

    That isn't to say I still use Office 97 and that accursed paperclip "Clippy" regularly. I use Office 2003 primarily as I prefer the menus over the stupid ribbon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments