how do I get rid of this blue background in the text?

Anonymous
2011-08-20T13:29:03+00:00

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10736018@N05/6062088672/in/photostream

I was given a file to update and modify by a partner in a project. it contains several instances of this word having a blue highlight in the background. I don't want to waste ink in my own color printer, and the final version of this is going to be printed on a black & white laser printer.

How do I get rid of the blue background in word 2007? The "text highlight color" control will override it with any color but white, which isn't shown. Choosing "no highlight" has no effect. The "font color" changes the text from black to some other color, but has no effect on the blue.

How do I get rid of the blue?

==Edit, posted 5 minutes later=

Nevermind, I just deleted the stupid text and retyped it. I'd still like to know how it was done however.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-08-20T14:42:46+00:00

It looks like text shading - you can change it in the Borders and Shading dialog (click the Borders dropdown in the Paragraph group of the Home tab of the ribbon, and select the last option: Borders and Shading; then activate the Shading tab)

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-20T14:42:42+00:00

Hi

One thing you don't mention is shading.  Shading can be applied to text characters not just whole paragraphs, depending on what is selected when it is applied.

Shading is the button with the paint pot in the Paragraph group of controls, on the Home tab.

If you ever have problems like this again try using Reveal Formatting to show you what effects are applied to your text.  Just put your cursor in the text and press Shift + F1 and the panel will display all the aplied settings.

Hope this helps

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-19T09:20:13+00:00

    Thanks mate this really helped, I thought a was screwed on my geography controlled assessment. You saved me ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-12-17T19:09:47+00:00

    how do I get rid of the dark blue background I can't see my bank account because of this dark blue  how do you get rid of  it.

    Have you pasted this data into a Word document from the web? In that case, it is likely that there is a lot of direct formatting present in the document.

    In Word, you can get rid of direct formatting by selecting the text and pressing Ctrl+Q (clears direct paragraph formatting) and then Ctrl+SpaceBar (clears direct font formatting).

    Page colors can be removed the following way: On the Page Layout tab in Word 2007 and 2010, click Page Color and then click No Color. In Word 2013 and 2016, you'll find Page Color | No Color on the Design tab.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-17T16:18:01+00:00

    I assume you have read this entire thread and tried all the things mentioned, including the things I mentioned that I tried that did not work for me in my file in the initial post?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments