how do I get rid of this blue background in the text?

Anonymous
2011-08-20T13:29:03+00:00

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10736018@N05/6062088672/in/photostream

I was given a file to update and modify by a partner in a project. it contains several instances of this word having a blue highlight in the background. I don't want to waste ink in my own color printer, and the final version of this is going to be printed on a black & white laser printer.

How do I get rid of the blue background in word 2007? The "text highlight color" control will override it with any color but white, which isn't shown. Choosing "no highlight" has no effect. The "font color" changes the text from black to some other color, but has no effect on the blue.

How do I get rid of the blue?

==Edit, posted 5 minutes later=

Nevermind, I just deleted the stupid text and retyped it. I'd still like to know how it was done however.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-08-20T14:42:46+00:00

It looks like text shading - you can change it in the Borders and Shading dialog (click the Borders dropdown in the Paragraph group of the Home tab of the ribbon, and select the last option: Borders and Shading; then activate the Shading tab)

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-20T14:42:42+00:00

Hi

One thing you don't mention is shading.  Shading can be applied to text characters not just whole paragraphs, depending on what is selected when it is applied.

Shading is the button with the paint pot in the Paragraph group of controls, on the Home tab.

If you ever have problems like this again try using Reveal Formatting to show you what effects are applied to your text.  Just put your cursor in the text and press Shift + F1 and the panel will display all the aplied settings.

Hope this helps

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-30T01:40:14+00:00

    Satisfied?

    I was replying to the new problem presented by Jetlamindz. My post was listed as  "In reply to Suzanne S. Barnhill post on March 26, 2013". It made perfect sense. I, being a veteran of Usenet and a 14,400K modem, decided it was not necessary to quote his post when it would be viewed on the forum right below it. I forgot that it was Microsoft and Outlook Express/Outlook that started the "top post, don't snip" phenomenon. I should have quoted the full text.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-30T01:39:29+00:00

    None of this helped me. I had copied some text that was saved on a HTML page. (I had lost my old document.) So I've been trying to take the HTML version and put it back into a word 2007 .doc. When I paste it has an automatic highlight to it that will not delete.  I have tried to white it out with the instructions given here, but it doesn't change anything. This is a novel I had written and I really don't want to re write the ENTIRE thing!  It's just way to big!  How do I fix this problem?  Do I have to suck it up and rewrite it anyway?

    If it is just text without formatting, I'd suggest you try this procedure:

    1. copy the text onto the clipboard.
    2. open the Notepad program.
    3. paste it into Notepad.
    4. save it (as a .txt file).
    5. close notepad
    6. open something else and copy some random thing on the clipboard to clear it.
    7. close that something else, and open the .txt file you created in step 4
    8. copy it onto the clipboard
    9. paste it back into Word.

    That should strip it of the formatting including that background. It won't work if there are tab stops or other formatting.

    Doing the above on my original document would have destroyed the formatting.

    I'm only able to really view threads & replies on the weekends these days.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-03-29T13:01:40+00:00

    In that case, your reply makes even less sense. My reply asked two questions, which you did not answer. Perhaps you were attempting to reply to the person I was replying to?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments