how do I get rid of this blue background in the text?

Anonymous
2011-08-20T13:29:03+00:00

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10736018@N05/6062088672/in/photostream

I was given a file to update and modify by a partner in a project. it contains several instances of this word having a blue highlight in the background. I don't want to waste ink in my own color printer, and the final version of this is going to be printed on a black & white laser printer.

How do I get rid of the blue background in word 2007? The "text highlight color" control will override it with any color but white, which isn't shown. Choosing "no highlight" has no effect. The "font color" changes the text from black to some other color, but has no effect on the blue.

How do I get rid of the blue?

==Edit, posted 5 minutes later=

Nevermind, I just deleted the stupid text and retyped it. I'd still like to know how it was done however.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-08-20T14:42:46+00:00

It looks like text shading - you can change it in the Borders and Shading dialog (click the Borders dropdown in the Paragraph group of the Home tab of the ribbon, and select the last option: Borders and Shading; then activate the Shading tab)

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-20T14:42:42+00:00

Hi

One thing you don't mention is shading.  Shading can be applied to text characters not just whole paragraphs, depending on what is selected when it is applied.

Shading is the button with the paint pot in the Paragraph group of controls, on the Home tab.

If you ever have problems like this again try using Reveal Formatting to show you what effects are applied to your text.  Just put your cursor in the text and press Shift + F1 and the panel will display all the aplied settings.

Hope this helps

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-05-31T14:27:36+00:00

    I got Word 2.0 from Gateway, and it came with a fat (1½") manual and separate manuals for Microsoft Equation, Microsoft Graph, and Microsoft Draw (along with a Getting Started guide). Word 6.0 came with 1" manual. Both referred users to the built-in Help for many advanced topics, but very little of what is in those manuals has actually changed (though of course a lot of features have been added). Manuals for subsequent versions have been mostly puff pieces touting the things Word can do rather than explaining how to do them; increasingly, Help has been moved online. That's one of many reasons I still have the Word 2.0 and 6.0 manuals!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-31T06:29:21+00:00

    I've been using Word since '97 and I'm STILL leaning new features. I know I've forgotten a lot, but I don't recall that one at all.

    This is unlike AppleWorks where all I had to do was read the 1.5"x8.5x11" manual back in 5th grade to lean all the features.

    Then again Microsoft Office  doesn't come with a manual, just an extensive help system and 97 included a "getting started" guide for installation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-05-31T02:25:23+00:00

    I think the shortcuts Ctrl+Q (ResetPara) and Ctrl+Spacebar (ResetChar) have been in Word forever. I started with Word 2.0, and one of the first templates I created (I'm still using a version of it in Word 2003 included a style with bold formatting. I remember my excited sense of discovery when I realized that, if I applied italics to part of the text (the style is for bibliographic entries in my reading log), I could press Ctrl+Spacebar, and it would remove the italics but not the bold, which was defined in the style.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments