how do I get rid of this blue background in the text?

Anonymous
2011-08-20T13:29:03+00:00

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10736018@N05/6062088672/in/photostream

I was given a file to update and modify by a partner in a project. it contains several instances of this word having a blue highlight in the background. I don't want to waste ink in my own color printer, and the final version of this is going to be printed on a black & white laser printer.

How do I get rid of the blue background in word 2007? The "text highlight color" control will override it with any color but white, which isn't shown. Choosing "no highlight" has no effect. The "font color" changes the text from black to some other color, but has no effect on the blue.

How do I get rid of the blue?

==Edit, posted 5 minutes later=

Nevermind, I just deleted the stupid text and retyped it. I'd still like to know how it was done however.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-08-20T14:42:46+00:00

It looks like text shading - you can change it in the Borders and Shading dialog (click the Borders dropdown in the Paragraph group of the Home tab of the ribbon, and select the last option: Borders and Shading; then activate the Shading tab)

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-20T14:42:42+00:00

Hi

One thing you don't mention is shading.  Shading can be applied to text characters not just whole paragraphs, depending on what is selected when it is applied.

Shading is the button with the paint pot in the Paragraph group of controls, on the Home tab.

If you ever have problems like this again try using Reveal Formatting to show you what effects are applied to your text.  Just put your cursor in the text and press Shift + F1 and the panel will display all the aplied settings.

Hope this helps

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-20T00:13:38+00:00

    I found it! I tried the shading thing but that wasn't it! I had copied then pasted text and it all highlighted blue. All you have to do is select all the text then do Ctrl + Spacebar !

    http://www.computerhope.com/tips/tip210.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-05T18:53:16+00:00

    I had the same problem when gathering quotes for one of my assignments. I found that there is a clear all formatting key in the home tab (looks like an "A" with an eraser on it). I highlighted the text and pressed the clear formatting key and, voila, all fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-07T16:03:10+00:00

    You might want to click on the "Found this helpful...Me Too" link as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments