click-2-run configuration failure

Anonymous
2010-02-22T09:47:55+00:00

I installed word 2010 beta, and I cant open it.

I just get the above message

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-19T22:55:06+00:00

I had all of the same problems listed above, with no luck. I tried uninstalling, or repairing and no luck. I am using Windows 7, and using the Microsoft Office Starter that came pre-packaged with a new laptop. This laptop is less than 2 weeks old and Office started acting up a couple days after we got it. I have gone over and over the forums and tech supports with no luck.

I took an alternate approach to repairing the "Click-2-Run Configuration Failure" that WORKED (For me). I hope this helps others, the approach is very simple that anyone with ADMIN rights should be able to do this.

Solution that worked for me...

1.) Create an alternate User Account on the computer.

2.) Restart the computer and Login to the new user account.

3.) Open the Microsoft Office Starter from "All Programs"

4.) Click on Word or Excel

5.) The program should start loading all files needed from the Microsoft server.

6.) Once all files are loaded, you should be able to access your Microsoft Office Starter Programs. (Open and confirm.)

7.) "Switch User" to your ORIGINAL ACCOUNT

8.) Click one of the Microsoft Office Starter programs and hopefully it will start working.

9.) NOTE: I have not yet deleted the new user account, so results may vary.

Good luck,

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-06-15T08:36:45+00:00

    Note that beta products are used at your own risk.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-06-12T21:41:55+00:00

    I installed word 2010 beta, and I cant open it.

    I just get the above message

    why did microsoft created this monster that gave so much misery to their clients?!? i just can't understand! don't they want to give better products to the public!?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-05-15T16:51:54+00:00

    I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue. Out of curiosity, what was the exact error message you saw? Based on your description, it sounds more like a file association issue than a click-to-run configuration issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-05-09T15:12:49+00:00

    I had this same problem.  After using MSWord with no problems I suddenly starting getting this error when opening files.  The solution that worked for me was the reassociate the opening program.  I realized that it was trying to open the .docx files with another program, not word.  After going to open with, choose program, MS Word, always use this program to open this file type, I have not had this problem any longer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments