click-2-run configuration failure

Anonymous
2010-02-22T09:47:55+00:00

I installed word 2010 beta, and I cant open it.

I just get the above message

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-19T22:55:06+00:00

I had all of the same problems listed above, with no luck. I tried uninstalling, or repairing and no luck. I am using Windows 7, and using the Microsoft Office Starter that came pre-packaged with a new laptop. This laptop is less than 2 weeks old and Office started acting up a couple days after we got it. I have gone over and over the forums and tech supports with no luck.

I took an alternate approach to repairing the "Click-2-Run Configuration Failure" that WORKED (For me). I hope this helps others, the approach is very simple that anyone with ADMIN rights should be able to do this.

Solution that worked for me...

1.) Create an alternate User Account on the computer.

2.) Restart the computer and Login to the new user account.

3.) Open the Microsoft Office Starter from "All Programs"

4.) Click on Word or Excel

5.) The program should start loading all files needed from the Microsoft server.

6.) Once all files are loaded, you should be able to access your Microsoft Office Starter Programs. (Open and confirm.)

7.) "Switch User" to your ORIGINAL ACCOUNT

8.) Click one of the Microsoft Office Starter programs and hopefully it will start working.

9.) NOTE: I have not yet deleted the new user account, so results may vary.

Good luck,

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-06T23:52:27+00:00

    I saw this problem in this how to outlook forum they haven't answered this yet either. Maybe post your question in the topic too so that you can get answered as well when they come up with a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-07-06T12:53:09+00:00

    I can understand the user's frustration. From experience I can say:

    This link didn't work:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

    This one didn't work either:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005

    And this one also didn't work:

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/update-repair-or-uninstall-office-click-to-run-HA010382089.aspx

    Another one not working:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005#LetMeFixItMyselfAlways

    I am running Microsoft Office Starter 2010.  Every time I follow these options I bump into the same brick wall, namely the error message saying:

    "The action cannot be completed. Try the action again. If the problem continues, contact Microsoft Product Support".

    So then I go to Microsoft Product Support and find, to my horror, that I would be charged £46 just to ask someone how to uninstall MS Office Starter 2010!  It shouldn't be that hard (or expensive) to uninstall a programme should it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-06-15T09:37:58+00:00

    > Please stop posting this silly link. The instructions to Uninstall

    > are to use the Add/Remove Programs utility. Don't you think

    > we've already tried that? Obviously that isn't working.

    You realize of course that if you don't explain what you have tried, then it's difficult for other people to know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-06-15T09:35:11+00:00

    This solution and links did not work for me.  Is there a removal tool from Microsoft?

    The only "removal tool" that I know of is the following:

    How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments