click-2-run configuration failure

Anonymous
2010-02-22T09:47:55+00:00

I installed word 2010 beta, and I cant open it.

I just get the above message

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-19T22:55:06+00:00

I had all of the same problems listed above, with no luck. I tried uninstalling, or repairing and no luck. I am using Windows 7, and using the Microsoft Office Starter that came pre-packaged with a new laptop. This laptop is less than 2 weeks old and Office started acting up a couple days after we got it. I have gone over and over the forums and tech supports with no luck.

I took an alternate approach to repairing the "Click-2-Run Configuration Failure" that WORKED (For me). I hope this helps others, the approach is very simple that anyone with ADMIN rights should be able to do this.

Solution that worked for me...

1.) Create an alternate User Account on the computer.

2.) Restart the computer and Login to the new user account.

3.) Open the Microsoft Office Starter from "All Programs"

4.) Click on Word or Excel

5.) The program should start loading all files needed from the Microsoft server.

6.) Once all files are loaded, you should be able to access your Microsoft Office Starter Programs. (Open and confirm.)

7.) "Switch User" to your ORIGINAL ACCOUNT

8.) Click one of the Microsoft Office Starter programs and hopefully it will start working.

9.) NOTE: I have not yet deleted the new user account, so results may vary.

Good luck,

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-28T19:42:52+00:00

    Hope this helps to some of the users,

    To everyone who is facing the "Click 2 run configuration" error while opening any document in MS Word or Excel, I've tried changing the default application for those files and it worked fine.

    I used to get this error message after clicking on the .doc or.xlsx files and then I had to reopen the application. What i did, right click on any doc file and select "Properties". Go to "Change" and select the MS Word 2007 or 2010, whichever is installed, then click "OK".

    Now, try to open the file and it works. Else, I am still trying to figure out how to remove it from the system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-18T10:18:03+00:00

    See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/click-to-run-switch-to-using-an-msi-based-office-edition-HA101850538.aspx


    Hope this helps.

    Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

    Email: dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org

    Posted via the Community Bridge

    "LiamSimmons" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

    This is ridiculous. I am a student and I need to use this to do the majority of my written work.

    It has not been possible to use it because of this click-2-run error constantly attacking me.


    http://answers.microsoft.com/message/252d8741-a7dc-4ade-ba1e-8b2699ef1e59?threadId=2ce975a9-90e9-4919-89d2-da64440e1423

    Meta tags: windows_xp; word; office_2010

    Fri, 9 Mar 2012 14:48:54  +0000: CreateMessage  LiamSimmons

    This doesnt work. I am not technical. I hardly understand the comments posted above. All I know is I have been using this software since last september when I bought it for 79 quid and all of a sudden, without any intervention from me, the whole thing has stopped working. I cant uninstall it or repair it or fix it. I need my files. I cant get at them. I really need someone to help me! Is this a cunning ploy to get me to buy it again?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2012-03-10T00:43:04+00:00

    See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/click-to-run-switch-to-using-an-msi-based-office-edition-HA101850538.aspx


    Hope this helps.

    Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    Email: dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

    "LiamSimmons" wrote in message news:******@communitybridge.codeplex.com.word...

    This is ridiculous. I am a student and I need to use this to do the majority of my written work.
    It has not been possible to use it because of this click-2-run error constantly attacking me.


    http://answers.microsoft.com/message/252d8741-a7dc-4ade-ba1e-8b2699ef1e59?threadId=2ce975a9-90e9-4919-89d2-da64440e1423
    Meta tags: windows_xp; word; office_2010

    Fri, 9 Mar 2012 14:48:54  +0000: CreateMessage  LiamSimmons

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-09T14:48:54+00:00

    This is ridiculous. I am a student and I need to use this to do the majority of my written work.

    It has not been possible to use it because of this click-2-run error constantly attacking me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments