click-2-run configuration failure

Anonymous
2010-02-22T09:47:55+00:00

I installed word 2010 beta, and I cant open it.

I just get the above message

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-19T22:55:06+00:00

I had all of the same problems listed above, with no luck. I tried uninstalling, or repairing and no luck. I am using Windows 7, and using the Microsoft Office Starter that came pre-packaged with a new laptop. This laptop is less than 2 weeks old and Office started acting up a couple days after we got it. I have gone over and over the forums and tech supports with no luck.

I took an alternate approach to repairing the "Click-2-Run Configuration Failure" that WORKED (For me). I hope this helps others, the approach is very simple that anyone with ADMIN rights should be able to do this.

Solution that worked for me...

1.) Create an alternate User Account on the computer.

2.) Restart the computer and Login to the new user account.

3.) Open the Microsoft Office Starter from "All Programs"

4.) Click on Word or Excel

5.) The program should start loading all files needed from the Microsoft server.

6.) Once all files are loaded, you should be able to access your Microsoft Office Starter Programs. (Open and confirm.)

7.) "Switch User" to your ORIGINAL ACCOUNT

8.) Click one of the Microsoft Office Starter programs and hopefully it will start working.

9.) NOTE: I have not yet deleted the new user account, so results may vary.

Good luck,

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-14T00:41:58+00:00

    This truly is sad. The Q drive can't be deleted, the click-2-run software can't be uninstalled from the Add/Remove programs utility, and faithful Microsoft customers are left to search the Internet for possible solutions. Why anyone trusts Microsoft with their enterprise is beyond me. Open Office, here I come.


    Bill Nicholson

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2010-05-06T03:03:33+00:00

    Please see and follow carefully this Microsoft Knowledge Base article "How to reset user options and registry settings in Word" at:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-05-06T02:00:01+00:00

    my office 2010 has been working fine for several months and all the sudden nothing works anymore, I get this click-2-run error message, I cant open anything anymore. I have this Q: virtual drive now created (it was not there before) which I cant even open. Any ideas on what I should do? El Ingles, how exactly do you do a roll back?

    thanks for your help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-04-15T21:56:37+00:00

    The annoying thing about this is that it creates a new virtual drive ("Q") on your system without asking for permission.  This then becomes impossible to remove if the installation does not complete correctly.  The only solution that I found was to roll back to a previous date with a Restore point.  This worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments