click-2-run configuration failure

Anonymous
2010-02-22T09:47:55+00:00

I installed word 2010 beta, and I cant open it.

I just get the above message

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-19T22:55:06+00:00

I had all of the same problems listed above, with no luck. I tried uninstalling, or repairing and no luck. I am using Windows 7, and using the Microsoft Office Starter that came pre-packaged with a new laptop. This laptop is less than 2 weeks old and Office started acting up a couple days after we got it. I have gone over and over the forums and tech supports with no luck.

I took an alternate approach to repairing the "Click-2-Run Configuration Failure" that WORKED (For me). I hope this helps others, the approach is very simple that anyone with ADMIN rights should be able to do this.

Solution that worked for me...

1.) Create an alternate User Account on the computer.

2.) Restart the computer and Login to the new user account.

3.) Open the Microsoft Office Starter from "All Programs"

4.) Click on Word or Excel

5.) The program should start loading all files needed from the Microsoft server.

6.) Once all files are loaded, you should be able to access your Microsoft Office Starter Programs. (Open and confirm.)

7.) "Switch User" to your ORIGINAL ACCOUNT

8.) Click one of the Microsoft Office Starter programs and hopefully it will start working.

9.) NOTE: I have not yet deleted the new user account, so results may vary.

Good luck,

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-08T17:20:12+00:00

    i tried all the steps also, including the microsoft tool...and can't uninstall click-2-run.  the microsoft tool has that black window and when it got to the click-2-run, it put up a tiny window that said it failed...and i had to click ok to continue.  all i had done is download microsoft 2010...didn't like it ( as it kept doing weird things like dropping my made tabs and then doubling my imap folders, and i can't delete the extras...which may be an imap problem since my outlook 2003 kept doing that and i thought 2010 would solve it but that's besides the point)  but cannot UNINSTALL this monster.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-07-07T09:13:10+00:00

    Thanks for that link.  I might actually try the suggestions there and see if they work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-06T23:52:27+00:00

    I saw this problem in this how to outlook forum they haven't answered this yet either. Maybe post your question in the topic too so that you can get answered as well when they come up with a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-07-06T12:53:09+00:00

    I can understand the user's frustration. From experience I can say:

    This link didn't work:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

    This one didn't work either:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005

    And this one also didn't work:

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/update-repair-or-uninstall-office-click-to-run-HA010382089.aspx

    Another one not working:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005#LetMeFixItMyselfAlways

    I am running Microsoft Office Starter 2010.  Every time I follow these options I bump into the same brick wall, namely the error message saying:

    "The action cannot be completed. Try the action again. If the problem continues, contact Microsoft Product Support".

    So then I go to Microsoft Product Support and find, to my horror, that I would be charged £46 just to ask someone how to uninstall MS Office Starter 2010!  It shouldn't be that hard (or expensive) to uninstall a programme should it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments