click-2-run configuration failure

Anonymous
2010-02-22T09:47:55+00:00

I installed word 2010 beta, and I cant open it.

I just get the above message

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-19T22:55:06+00:00

I had all of the same problems listed above, with no luck. I tried uninstalling, or repairing and no luck. I am using Windows 7, and using the Microsoft Office Starter that came pre-packaged with a new laptop. This laptop is less than 2 weeks old and Office started acting up a couple days after we got it. I have gone over and over the forums and tech supports with no luck.

I took an alternate approach to repairing the "Click-2-Run Configuration Failure" that WORKED (For me). I hope this helps others, the approach is very simple that anyone with ADMIN rights should be able to do this.

Solution that worked for me...

1.) Create an alternate User Account on the computer.

2.) Restart the computer and Login to the new user account.

3.) Open the Microsoft Office Starter from "All Programs"

4.) Click on Word or Excel

5.) The program should start loading all files needed from the Microsoft server.

6.) Once all files are loaded, you should be able to access your Microsoft Office Starter Programs. (Open and confirm.)

7.) "Switch User" to your ORIGINAL ACCOUNT

8.) Click one of the Microsoft Office Starter programs and hopefully it will start working.

9.) NOTE: I have not yet deleted the new user account, so results may vary.

Good luck,

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-05-14T19:14:28+00:00

    I am experiencing the same situation. I purchased a new Dell one year ago and MS Office came with it. When this problem began I tried MS and they said it was from Dell and to contact them. I just spent close to 2 hours on the phone with Dell support and they were able to reinstall MS Office but could not delete the original MS Office 2010 and could not delete Click 2 run either. So now I have two copies of MS Office 2010 installed. The new one is working now but the old one is taking up space and I would like to remove it. Dell tried to switch me to their software support who wanted to charge me to figure out what is wrong. I decided to hang up and see what the forums had to say. Not having any luck at all but atleast I have my Word, Excel and Power Point working once more.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-19T09:42:38+00:00

    I went in and did a repair and it fixed it. It appeared to have been a config problem. 

    Now I'm curious - how did you do the repair?  I can't even access it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-04-19T09:40:53+00:00

    Or Open Office.  I've been using this for years and never had any problems.  Big mistake even trying Microsoft Office Starter.  It would be better for people who intend on buying the product than as any kind of starter pack.

    I find it funny that not even Microsoft seem to know how to resolve this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-04-19T09:37:18+00:00

    Tried it but it doesn't work.  I'd just like to uninstall it because it's such a waste of space

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments