Font keeps changing back to Calibri?

Anonymous
2010-06-30T16:02:39+00:00

Hello,

I have a question here. Whenever I change my font and then try to type, it keeps changing back to double-spaced 11pt Calibri. I can't cope with this, as I want another font to write my book (sans-serif to have its feel). But I can't change it.

I have tried typing the paragraph first and then change it back to my desired font. It works, but this is just too much work, because in the next paragraph it reverted back to Calibri.

I have tried a solution where one suggests to change the Default font, and that doesn't work either.

For your notes, I have recently updated my Microsoft Office. Updates installed are KB934391, KB967642 and a few security updates.

I will check back here everyday. Please respond quickly.

Sincerely.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2010-06-30T17:46:55+00:00

My guess is that you haven't succeeded in properly changing the default font. There are several ways; try this one: In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click the Manage Styles button. On the Set Defaults tab, specify the settings that you want. The changes will apply to the current document, but if you select "New documents based on this template" before clicking OK, the settings will be transferred to the attached template.

If it still doesn't work, try opening the Normal template as a file and make the changes directly (in the Open dialog box, click Trusted Templates, click Normal.dotm and click Open). When you are done, save and close Normal.

Assuming that works, the next step is to investigate what prevented you from saving your Normal template earlier.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-04-25T18:22:03+00:00

    I'm glad I could help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-19T22:23:25+00:00

    where is normal.dotm?  I only have normalemail in the templates. I am on word 2007.  It's driving me crazy.  Nothing works. I just tried by going into styles and accessing normal that way, changing the font and still it didn't change it permanently.  Where is normal.dotm?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-06-20T22:41:12+00:00

    where is normal.dotm?  I only have normalemail in the templates. I am on word 2007.  It's driving me crazy.  Nothing works. I just tried by going into styles and accessing normal that way, changing the font and still it didn't change it permanently.  Where is normal.dotm?

    Something may be preventing you from saving to Normal.dotm. That "something" must be troubleshot separately. In the meantime, as a workaround, do the following to open the file as a document: From within Word, press Alt+F11 and then Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window in the Visual Basic Editor. Type

    NormalTemplate.OpenAsDocument

    and press Enter. Normal opens in a separate window; you'll see "Normal" on the title bar. (You can close the Visual Basic Editor.) Change the defaults as you wish, and then save and close the file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-21T00:09:27+00:00

    It worked, Stefan Blom, thank you so much and it was easy enough for even me to do. Thank you. I now have my Arial 12 when I open Word.  Yeah.  What a gift! :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments