Font keeps changing back to Calibri?

Anonymous
2010-06-30T16:02:39+00:00

Hello,

I have a question here. Whenever I change my font and then try to type, it keeps changing back to double-spaced 11pt Calibri. I can't cope with this, as I want another font to write my book (sans-serif to have its feel). But I can't change it.

I have tried typing the paragraph first and then change it back to my desired font. It works, but this is just too much work, because in the next paragraph it reverted back to Calibri.

I have tried a solution where one suggests to change the Default font, and that doesn't work either.

For your notes, I have recently updated my Microsoft Office. Updates installed are KB934391, KB967642 and a few security updates.

I will check back here everyday. Please respond quickly.

Sincerely.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2010-06-30T17:46:55+00:00

My guess is that you haven't succeeded in properly changing the default font. There are several ways; try this one: In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click the Manage Styles button. On the Set Defaults tab, specify the settings that you want. The changes will apply to the current document, but if you select "New documents based on this template" before clicking OK, the settings will be transferred to the attached template.

If it still doesn't work, try opening the Normal template as a file and make the changes directly (in the Open dialog box, click Trusted Templates, click Normal.dotm and click Open). When you are done, save and close Normal.

Assuming that works, the next step is to investigate what prevented you from saving your Normal template earlier.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-03T09:57:26+00:00

    Dear Stefan / Suzanne

    I have read this thread and it seems to be rumbling on for a little while, but I still haven't found the answer to my concern within the forums. I'm sure it's in here somewhere but I've been looking for nearly an hour and I thought I'd just ask.

    I've set up a style for UK university standard (Ariel 12 double spaced) but every time without fail, when I press enter or return to drop to the next line, it reverts to 'No Spacing' style.

    The font isn't affected and I could just type the whole document and format it afterwards, but I shouldn't have to. Also, doing it that way means I can't judge the layout or look of the thing as I go, which is what I need.

    Styles are a great idea IF the person using Word has no idea how to format it, but for people with any moderate PC experience, they're a headache.

    Please help - ideally I'd like to turn of 'Styles' all together.

    Kind Regards

    Dave Servante

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-08-24T15:52:20+00:00

    To clarify, changing the font in the Font dialog and clicking Default... or Set As Default, then answering Yes to the ensuing dialog in Word 2007 or choosing "All documents based on the Normal.dotm template" in Word 2010 or 2013 does change the Normal.dotm file.

    Making changes directly in the Normal template is required only when, for whatever reason, changes to Normal.dotm are not being saved when you quit Word. Many third-party add-ins (notably PDF Complete) prevent Normal.dotm from being saved; hence changes to the Normal template are not saved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-24T14:49:13+00:00

    This guy is one in a hundred! Changing the Normal.dot file IS the answer! There were so many supposed professionals (many from Microsoft) who weighed in on this incorrectly it was frustrating as h3ll. Whoever came up with idea to change the default fonts and make it impossible to change them should be taken out and shot, but that's the direction Microsoft is heading anyway. So, I'm buying an Apple next time around...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-06-21T17:44:53+00:00

    I'm glad you got it sorted! Thanks for the feedback.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments