Font keeps changing back to Calibri?

Anonymous
2010-06-30T16:02:39+00:00

Hello,

I have a question here. Whenever I change my font and then try to type, it keeps changing back to double-spaced 11pt Calibri. I can't cope with this, as I want another font to write my book (sans-serif to have its feel). But I can't change it.

I have tried typing the paragraph first and then change it back to my desired font. It works, but this is just too much work, because in the next paragraph it reverted back to Calibri.

I have tried a solution where one suggests to change the Default font, and that doesn't work either.

For your notes, I have recently updated my Microsoft Office. Updates installed are KB934391, KB967642 and a few security updates.

I will check back here everyday. Please respond quickly.

Sincerely.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2010-06-30T17:46:55+00:00

My guess is that you haven't succeeded in properly changing the default font. There are several ways; try this one: In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click the Manage Styles button. On the Set Defaults tab, specify the settings that you want. The changes will apply to the current document, but if you select "New documents based on this template" before clicking OK, the settings will be transferred to the attached template.

If it still doesn't work, try opening the Normal template as a file and make the changes directly (in the Open dialog box, click Trusted Templates, click Normal.dotm and click Open). When you are done, save and close Normal.

Assuming that works, the next step is to investigate what prevented you from saving your Normal template earlier.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-04-10T22:34:15+00:00

    I just wish everything would go back to Windows XP and they would leave things at that. This new ribbon in Word 2007 and above is horrible, it does NOT makes anything easier and why in the **** would Microsoft continue CHANGING THINGS THAT WORK. \

    When something works, you are suppose to stick with it right ? Wrong, not in MS's version of things. XP was great, Vista was a huge mistake and I suppose Win 7 is okay but the new word, excel ribbon **** needs to go back to the way it was in 2000, but of course, that is just my opinion.

    IF SOMETHING WORKS, DON'T FIX IT.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-08T16:35:35+00:00

    I just want to say how much I hate Calibri. It's a horrible font that's difficult to read and is just ... well, unpleasant.

    How and why does Microsoft keep managing to make such awful, awful decisions? You mean to tell me Microsoft tested fonts on focus groups and Calibri was the winner? Yeah right.

    I hate the Ribbon and I hate Calibri and I hate that Microsoft is such a monopoly that, in effect, I have no choice but to deal with its awfulness and flagrant flaws (erratic and unreliable Windows 7 Search for example!) and maddening glitches and inflexibility every single day.

    I deal with dozens of Word documents submitted by clients every day (hence the impracticality of my using e.g. the superb WordPerfect).

    Because Calibri is now the Word default font, most of these clients use it. Well, do you know that it's virtually impossible to tell whether there are two spaces between two words, or  the proper one space, in Calibri? Well let me tell you, it's an SOB! And though Word should highlight as an error instances with two spaces between two words, it doesn't always do that! Why? Because Word sucks, duh!

    Congress investigating steroids in baseball? What a joke. Congress should be investigating and busting up the monopoly that Microsoft exercises like a tyrant over office productivity suites, and how Microsoft's crummy ill-conceived and .... rude, yes, RUDE ... products suck U.S. office worker productivity by 20% a day (by my detailed calculations).

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-01-30T13:53:35+00:00

    Hi,

    Usually the cause is some third-party add-in preventing Normal from being saved. In the Options dialog box, look at the Add-Ins tab to see which add-ins are running. If you can identify the add-in there might be an uninstall option for it somewhere. Or you can manually delete the add-in from Word's Startup folder. See also http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/CheckIfAddinsInstalled.htm (still helpful although it was written for Word versions prior to 2007).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-30T09:57:53+00:00

    Hi Stefan,

    I had the exact same problem-I was unable to change the font (to be the default permanently) by the methods most websites suggest: via the Styles pane or font pane. It kepts reverting back to Calibri whenever I'd open a new document. Yet when I went into Open-Templates and clicked on Normal, I was able to choose Ariel 12 and save it as such and now all subsequent documents open in Ariel 12 (which is what I wanted).

    I don't know why the more common methods were not working for me, but like the other contributor. I also downloaded and installed *many* updates yesterday as a result of a recent hard drive crash-I now have a new hard drive and have been spending the last 2 days reinstalling programs.

    Many thanks,

    Psych13:)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments