Font keeps changing back to Calibri?

Anonymous
2010-06-30T16:02:39+00:00

Hello,

I have a question here. Whenever I change my font and then try to type, it keeps changing back to double-spaced 11pt Calibri. I can't cope with this, as I want another font to write my book (sans-serif to have its feel). But I can't change it.

I have tried typing the paragraph first and then change it back to my desired font. It works, but this is just too much work, because in the next paragraph it reverted back to Calibri.

I have tried a solution where one suggests to change the Default font, and that doesn't work either.

For your notes, I have recently updated my Microsoft Office. Updates installed are KB934391, KB967642 and a few security updates.

I will check back here everyday. Please respond quickly.

Sincerely.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2010-06-30T17:46:55+00:00

My guess is that you haven't succeeded in properly changing the default font. There are several ways; try this one: In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click the Manage Styles button. On the Set Defaults tab, specify the settings that you want. The changes will apply to the current document, but if you select "New documents based on this template" before clicking OK, the settings will be transferred to the attached template.

If it still doesn't work, try opening the Normal template as a file and make the changes directly (in the Open dialog box, click Trusted Templates, click Normal.dotm and click Open). When you are done, save and close Normal.

Assuming that works, the next step is to investigate what prevented you from saving your Normal template earlier.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-09-03T19:34:21+00:00

    The drop down at "Style for following paragraph" isn't necessarily sorted in alphabetical order, which means that you may have to scroll down to find your style. In this case, however, when you changed the name of a built-in style you actually created a style name alias, so you will have to find the original style name instead.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-03T14:57:26+00:00

    Click in a paragraph to which your style has been applied. Press Ctrl+Shift+S to display the Apply Styles pane. Click the Modify button. In the Modify Style dialog box, change the "Style for following paragraph" so that it matches the name of your style. (For example, if your style is called "My Style," you should specify "My Style" for "Style for following paragraph.)

    Thank you for your quick response and helpful comment.

    Unfortunately, the custom style is not listed in the drop-down list in the pane as you describe above. I think it's problematic because I re-named one of the default styles. It's ok, I can manage but that's not really the point.

    For a program that's meant to be user friendly, I don't think that this is the easiest way to edit a document, and I will have to agree with previous comments along the lines of 'if it's not broken, don't fix it' as I think this is just a way for Microsoft to make the product seem to be better value for money.

    Never mind, thanks all the same.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-09-03T10:37:24+00:00

    I've set up a style for UK university standard (Ariel 12 double spaced) but every time without fail, when I press enter or return to drop to the next line, it reverts to 'No Spacing' style.

    The font isn't affected and I could just type the whole document and format it afterwards, but I shouldn't have to. Also, doing it that way means I can't judge the layout or look of the thing as I go, which is what I need.

    Styles are a great idea IF the person using Word has no idea how to format it, but for people with any moderate PC experience, they're a headache.

    Please help - ideally I'd like to turn of 'Styles' all together.

    You can't turn off styles in Word.

    Fortunately, the problem you are describing can be easily fixed: Click in a paragraph to which your style has been applied. Press Ctrl+Shift+S to display the Apply Styles pane. Click the Modify button. In the Modify Style dialog box, change the "Style for following paragraph" so that it matches the name of your style. (For example, if your style is called "My Style," you should specify "My Style" for "Style for following paragraph.)

    Actually, you will find that styles save a lot of time, and that they are essential to using Word efficiently. Of course, there may be a learning curve if you've had no prior experience with styles. For assistance with the general principles, see http://shaunakelly.com/topic/word/styles.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-03T09:57:26+00:00

    Dear Stefan / Suzanne

    I have read this thread and it seems to be rumbling on for a little while, but I still haven't found the answer to my concern within the forums. I'm sure it's in here somewhere but I've been looking for nearly an hour and I thought I'd just ask.

    I've set up a style for UK university standard (Ariel 12 double spaced) but every time without fail, when I press enter or return to drop to the next line, it reverts to 'No Spacing' style.

    The font isn't affected and I could just type the whole document and format it afterwards, but I shouldn't have to. Also, doing it that way means I can't judge the layout or look of the thing as I go, which is what I need.

    Styles are a great idea IF the person using Word has no idea how to format it, but for people with any moderate PC experience, they're a headache.

    Please help - ideally I'd like to turn of 'Styles' all together.

    Kind Regards

    Dave Servante

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments