Font keeps changing back to Calibri?

Anonymous
2010-06-30T16:02:39+00:00

Hello,

I have a question here. Whenever I change my font and then try to type, it keeps changing back to double-spaced 11pt Calibri. I can't cope with this, as I want another font to write my book (sans-serif to have its feel). But I can't change it.

I have tried typing the paragraph first and then change it back to my desired font. It works, but this is just too much work, because in the next paragraph it reverted back to Calibri.

I have tried a solution where one suggests to change the Default font, and that doesn't work either.

For your notes, I have recently updated my Microsoft Office. Updates installed are KB934391, KB967642 and a few security updates.

I will check back here everyday. Please respond quickly.

Sincerely.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2010-06-30T17:46:55+00:00

My guess is that you haven't succeeded in properly changing the default font. There are several ways; try this one: In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click the Manage Styles button. On the Set Defaults tab, specify the settings that you want. The changes will apply to the current document, but if you select "New documents based on this template" before clicking OK, the settings will be transferred to the attached template.

If it still doesn't work, try opening the Normal template as a file and make the changes directly (in the Open dialog box, click Trusted Templates, click Normal.dotm and click Open). When you are done, save and close Normal.

Assuming that works, the next step is to investigate what prevented you from saving your Normal template earlier.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-10-01T02:48:42+00:00

    I've tried all the suggestions and I still cannot get the default font to change from Calibri. MS sucks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-19T22:23:25+00:00

    where is normal.dotm?  I only have normalemail in the templates. I am on word 2007.  It's driving me crazy.  Nothing works. I just tried by going into styles and accessing normal that way, changing the font and still it didn't change it permanently.  Where is normal.dotm?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-06-13T14:26:58+00:00

    Excuse my breaking in, here, but I just wanted to thank you, Stefan.  Your second solution, modifhying Normal.dotm directly worked for me (at last!) and opened my eyes. This may help you, too, alsdx.  What I realized is that I had changed my default files folders to a personal folder where all my work is stored (and more easily backed up).  I had to hunt for Normal.dotm, but as soon as I modified it, all new documents suddenly opened in the new normal.


    I'm glad you got it sorted! :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-01-30T13:53:35+00:00

    Hi,

    Usually the cause is some third-party add-in preventing Normal from being saved. In the Options dialog box, look at the Add-Ins tab to see which add-ins are running. If you can identify the add-in there might be an uninstall option for it somewhere. Or you can manually delete the add-in from Word's Startup folder. See also http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/CheckIfAddinsInstalled.htm (still helpful although it was written for Word versions prior to 2007).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments