A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
I kept the other three year old Vista machine thinking I might be able to sort out the problem and use it as a backup. On that machine, as I related, something prevented important updates from configuring during the restart process which eventually resulted in a years worth of failed updates. I concede that I should have tracked down a forum like this one and addressed the problem before it gestated. I began to get an error message, "Host services for windows is not working properly and has shut down". I would then be kicked offline and I would have to restart the machine in order to get a connection window. Then it would happen again, sometimes within ten minutes, other times in an hour or so. I figured there were registry issues, the DVD drive didn't work anymore, so I decided to throw down on a new machine. But I still have the old one in the closet, and the IT guy told me that a three year old dual core machine is worth saving.I asked him if there was a safe reliable "free fix" utility for registry repair. There are many on the web but I suspect most are bogus and/or come with spy/spamware. He said my best bet would be to buy a cheap DVD drive and then have the machine wiped clean by a tech. I suppose that would fix the problem but its kind of like a dentist telling you to have all your teeth pulled rather than deal with a couple of bad grinders. Do you have any thoughts on how to get those updates to configure properly so the updates can take hold and perhaps prevent the error message?