insert row in protected sheet by keeping formula

Anonymous
2011-08-13T08:15:07+00:00

Hi

I have a protected sheet contain formula in each row depends to above row( for example C2=C1+1; C3=C2+1;...).and cells contained these formula are locked.

I like to allow users to insert row everywhere by keeping formula without unprotecting the sheet. When I am clicking "insert row" while protecting the sheet, users could insert a row but the locked inserted cells are not including any formula and excel doesn't permit to copy formula of above cells. is there any solution?

Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-08-14T10:16:32+00:00

If you just want the result of the formula, try

ActiveSheet.Range("E" & r).Value = ActiveSheet.Range("E1").Value

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2011-08-13T12:41:40+00:00

In the first place: to prevent the users from viewing the macro and seeing the password to unlock the sheet, you must protect the Visual Basic project of the workbook with a password.

  • In the Visual Basic Editor, select Tools | VBAProject Properties...
  • Activate the Protection tab.
  • Tick the check box "Lock project for viewing".
  • Enter a password in the Password box.
  • Enter the same password in the Confirm password box.
  • Important: don't forget this password!
  • Click OK.
  • Save the workbook.
  • Next time you open the workbook and want to view the Visual Basic code, you'll be prompted for the password.

Let's say the password is "secret". The following macro will insert a row and fill down the formula in column C:

Sub InsertARow()

    Dim r As Long

    On Error GoTo ErrHandler

    ' Get the row number

    r = Range("C10").Value

    ' Unprotect the sheet

    ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="secret"

    ' Insert a row

    Range("C" & r).EntireRow.Insert

    ' Fill down the formula from above the inserted row to below it

    Range("C" & (r - 1) & ":C" & (r + 1)).FillDown

ExitHandler:

    ' Protect the sheet again

    ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="secret"

    ' Get out

    Exit Sub

ErrHandler:

    ' Report the error to the user

    MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation

    ' Always go past the exit handler section

    Resume ExitHandler

End Sub

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-02T13:01:00+00:00

    Hello again HansV.

    I have noticed a little bit of a problem with the spreadsheet since its been in use. There are a few allowances I make for people when they work in this spreadsheet while still under protection. However when they hit the insert row button that I have created it gets rid of those exceptions and locks up the spreadsheet without the allowances/exceptions.

    Is there a way this can be fixed?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-02T12:52:40+00:00

    Hello again HansV.

    I have noticed a little bit of a problem with the spreadsheet since its been in use. There are a few allowances I make for people when they work in this spreadsheet while still under protection. However when they hit the insert row button that I have created it gets rid of those exceptions and locks up the spreadsheet without the allowances/exceptions.

    Is there a way this can be fixed?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-05T20:33:44+00:00

    it works! I wish there was some way this stuff was a little bit easier, but i know where to go in the future, you have been quite helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments