A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
If you just want the result of the formula, try
ActiveSheet.Range("E" & r).Value = ActiveSheet.Range("E1").Value
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi
I have a protected sheet contain formula in each row depends to above row( for example C2=C1+1; C3=C2+1;...).and cells contained these formula are locked.
I like to allow users to insert row everywhere by keeping formula without unprotecting the sheet. When I am clicking "insert row" while protecting the sheet, users could insert a row but the locked inserted cells are not including any formula and excel doesn't permit to copy formula of above cells. is there any solution?
Thanks
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
If you just want the result of the formula, try
ActiveSheet.Range("E" & r).Value = ActiveSheet.Range("E1").Value
In the first place: to prevent the users from viewing the macro and seeing the password to unlock the sheet, you must protect the Visual Basic project of the workbook with a password.
Let's say the password is "secret". The following macro will insert a row and fill down the formula in column C:
Sub InsertARow()
Dim r As Long
On Error GoTo ErrHandler
' Get the row number
r = Range("C10").Value
' Unprotect the sheet
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="secret"
' Insert a row
Range("C" & r).EntireRow.Insert
' Fill down the formula from above the inserted row to below it
Range("C" & (r - 1) & ":C" & (r + 1)).FillDown
ExitHandler:
' Protect the sheet again
ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="secret"
' Get out
Exit Sub
ErrHandler:
' Report the error to the user
MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation
' Always go past the exit handler section
Resume ExitHandler
End Sub
Hello Hans V
I have a problem similar to this and I tried testing your formula and I could not get it to work. I have Office 2007. Basically I have a spreadsheet I want to keep protected and I have formulas in it, I lock the cells with formulas, but allow for my users to put their data in unlocked cells. However on occasion they may need to insert a row, I know how to give them that capability the formula just doesn't follow when protected.
I made an excel spreadsheet just so I could test the formula above where Column C would be where the formula needs to follow through and I can't get it to work. On some other formula's I have seen the range is not given as C10 but C1:C100 or whatever is needed. I don't know if this has an affect. I am fairly ignorant of some of this stuff, but I have certainly gotten a crash course in how to do a whole bunch of excel stuff I never thought i would do, need or excel was capable of doing.
I know this thread is a little old but I am hoping you are still available to give me an answer.
Thanks
Thanks Hans
position of insert a row will calculated in one cell of sheet( for example in C10) and my protected sheet has a password which I don't like to read this password through macro by other users.
could you please give me a macro program to cover these points?
Regards
You could create a macro that
and make this macro available through a command button or keyboard shortcut.