personal.xlsb opens when opening a new file

Anonymous
2010-08-03T14:16:56+00:00

The file personal.xlsb opens every time I open a new file. I saved all my macros in module1 of the new workbook but this personal file keeps opening. I have read that in Excel > Options > Advanced > under General, At startup open all files in is = BLANK will stop this but mine was already BLANK. How do I stop this file from opening?

Thanks,

JCM

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-03T14:59:33+00:00

Hi,

Persaonal.xlsb opens automatically every time Excel opens provided it has been created.

Writing a UDF wouldn't create P.xlsb unless that UDF was saved to P.xlsb. So at sometime; and maybe no associated with this UDF, someone has saved something to P.xlsb (maybe in error) and caused the creation of that file.

Now it is created I strongly recommend you hide it and forget it but if you don't want to do that then you can delete p.xlsb like this.

With the Excel application not running.

Open windows explorer, and assuming you did a standard installation, navigate to

C:\program files\microsoft office\office 12\xlstart

delete personal.xlsb


If this post answers your question, please mark it as the Answer.

Mike H

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-06-20T20:33:53+00:00

    Hi,

    I was getting annoyed having to close the personal.xlsb file every time I was using Excel (I have macros saved in the personal.xlsb file, so can't delete), so I tried to hide it, and the personal.slxb file was hidden, but in its place is a book1.xlsx file and when you close that, then Excel is still open, but no Excel file......so I still have to close 'extra' stuff.....is there a way to just have the one Excel file you want open, open?  Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-06-21T14:54:04+00:00

    If you open your workbook by double-clicking on it in MyComputer / Windows Explorer, then Excel will not open the 'default' blank workbook called Book1.xlsx.  Same thing if you click on 'Start | Documents' and select your spreadsheet from the 'history' list.

    However, I was able to get Excel to open without any spreadsheet showing by having only personal.xlsm open (and visible), then hiding it and exiting Excel, and saving personal.xlsm when prompted to do so.  Now, whenever I run Excel it opens only personal.xlsm, but it is not in the way because it is hidden.

    Hope this helps!

    hj

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-03T16:24:38+00:00

    Hi,

    Activate personal.xlsb

    View tab - Hide - Select personal.xlsb.

    Exit Excel and if prompted to save say yes.

    Re-Open and Personal.xlsb should not now be visible


    If this post answers your question, please mark it as the Answer.

    Mike H

    This get's me closer to what I want in Windows 7, but now I have to close excel twice by closing first the document and then the excel window with the hidden personal.xlsb (I have macros I wrote and need and use)

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-08T22:15:01+00:00

    Brilliant - this has solved the problem.

    Many thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments