personal.xlsb opens when opening a new file

Anonymous
2010-08-03T14:16:56+00:00

The file personal.xlsb opens every time I open a new file. I saved all my macros in module1 of the new workbook but this personal file keeps opening. I have read that in Excel > Options > Advanced > under General, At startup open all files in is = BLANK will stop this but mine was already BLANK. How do I stop this file from opening?

Thanks,

JCM

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-03T14:59:33+00:00

Hi,

Persaonal.xlsb opens automatically every time Excel opens provided it has been created.

Writing a UDF wouldn't create P.xlsb unless that UDF was saved to P.xlsb. So at sometime; and maybe no associated with this UDF, someone has saved something to P.xlsb (maybe in error) and caused the creation of that file.

Now it is created I strongly recommend you hide it and forget it but if you don't want to do that then you can delete p.xlsb like this.

With the Excel application not running.

Open windows explorer, and assuming you did a standard installation, navigate to

C:\program files\microsoft office\office 12\xlstart

delete personal.xlsb


If this post answers your question, please mark it as the Answer.

Mike H

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-28T22:31:18+00:00

    When I try to open several excel documents at once, (eg selecting multiple documents to just print) it opens the personal doc and then tries to open it again with the opening of each subsequent document.  This is burning through my time clicking read only or cancel over and over. It used to only open with the first document opened and not try again until you closed excel and opened it again. Have we been designed into a corner here with the separate windows? Did I mention how I hate the separate windows. 

    Also, why the heck is the heck is shift + end trying to select the last visible box to the bottom left far right? Who wanted that? It should go down the column to the beginning or the end of the content like it did previously. How do I get it to do that again?

    I  hope there are settings to work around these TOO helpful modifications. Please advise.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-07-19T15:34:22+00:00

    Mike H's answer actual is damaging to those who have stored macros in the personal.xlsb file.  l would encourage Microsoft to block his recommendations as someone who makes recommendations without the proper caveats on such a basic concept should not be allowed to dispense advice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-07-14T17:22:49+00:00

    In Excel 2013 it's easy to stop this annoying glitch.  Open excel, go to the personal.xlsb file, click on the tab "VIEW", then on the icon that says "Hide".  This hides the worksheet.  When you close excel, it will ask you to save.  Say yes and voila... next time you open excel, it will no longer be there and the macros will still be there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments